The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Guy interested in 1st Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New Guy interested in 1st Edition Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Starship combat is similar. However, the 1st edition has die codes for the ship speeds, and the 2nd edition has standard maximum speeds. So, in first edition, if I'm trying to run away from you, and you try to chase after me, I roll my Starship Piloting skill, plus my vehicle speed, then you roll yours. If my roll is higher, then I move from medium range to long range. If you beat my roll, then we move from medium range to long range.

Things aren't quite as simple in 2nd ed. They use standard measurements of distance in space (generally just called "units"). If we're at 5 units, and you're chasing after me, I can use my standard speed (of 6 speed units) and you use your standard speed (of 4 space units), and I move from 5 to 7. I can choose to put more throttle into the engines and move up to 12 to escape faster, but that has some penalties, and I'm not allowed to have as much maneuverability. So, say in combat, you have a gunner who is firing at me, you can ramp your ship speed up to twice or three times the standard cruising speed, and catch up to me quickly. If I'm having to dodge your gunner's shots, I have to devote more of my ships movement to staying alive, and thus only move (I think) my standard cruising speed distance. So, If I'm moving 6, and you're moving 8, you close the distance easily.

There's also a difference in damage. I can post something about that as well if you'd like.

the 1st edition seems more simple and game friendly in that aspect.
In the past I've taken bits and pieces from different editions to suite the gameplay.
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's also a difference in damage. I can post something about that as well if you'd like.

Please do. This is all rather educational! Thanks for helping me out guys.
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, reading the "which edition do you like best" threads around here I knew 2nd Revised and Expanded was the most popular choice, but it also seemed like a significant minority preferred the original rules. Suprised no campions of 1st edition replied to the thread.
Darth Mischevious
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever played 1st edition. But our group always used Star Warriors to handle space combat, so a lot of the differences already discussed between the various rules versions just didn't arise for us because we enjoyed the board game tactical combat.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 1st Ed. the simplest to just get in & start playing (it's the first I got ahold of, when WEG put out the game). Originally, scaling was oversimplified (an example is a TIE fighter's stafing run on a character was simply doubled dice: 5D became 10D damage). The Rules Companion--which I still use heavily--opened the door for a lot of extra stuff! I still use variants of the Capital Ship Combat rules, & employ Star Warriors for space combat; it also introduced scaling--I still use this version of scaling to make combat more lethal (in 2nd Ed., a Capital scale weapon was no longer assured of dropping a TIE unless the roll was 16+ over the TIE's soak; in 1st Ed. a damage roll 4x the soak roll destroyed the fighter, & dice rolled above the cap were dropped instead of simply rounded down as in 2nd. Ed.--frankly I felt 2nd Ed. tried to make PCs un-killable). I still prefer to employ the Speed Dice of 1st Ed when possible.
I didn't really care for how R&E carried out scaling: by those rules, enough Stormtroopers could drop a Capital Ship.
In 1st Ed. Force Lightning was 1D of Damage per 2D in Alter rather than 1D per 1D--more survivable unless you were cybered, but still painful.

The starting scenarios were nice in the 1st Ed Rulebook (Cal Ambre with Roark rescuing his copilot, & Rebel Breakout to get PCs in the Rebellion right away). I wish they had been revamped.

My two credits worth anyway!

Last edited by schnarre on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy interested in 1st Edition Reply with quote

Having been only a 1st Ed player back in my highschool days (i.e. late 80s, early 90s), I'm starting a new 2nd Ed campaign right now, and quite frankly don't like the changes. None of them really smooth anything out and all of them are just making a simple system needlessly complex. Some players like that, I'm not trying to knock the system, but I *really* loved the simplicity of the 1st Ed.

Here's a few details I've picked up on so far:
- Skill Specializations: Not only are the rules really awkward around this, IMHO, it's just not needed. It's like they found a rule in another system and thought it might be good for this system. It just adds a small level of complication for no good reason.
- Initialization System: Another really strange move IMHO, a side vs. side initialization, then declare all up front, etc. 1st Ed's act based on PER stat is so *simple*, why change it?
- Wounds: This is more of a preference, but I liked the 1x 2x 3x simplicity of Wounding in 1st Ed over 2nd Ed's look up a chart.
- Wild Die: I'm not a big fan of the Wild Die. If you have 5 or less dice, you pretty much have a 1 in 6 chance of your roll having *no* effect what so ever (if you roll a 1, you take away the Wild Die AND the Highest Die you rolled, so your 5D has suddenly changed to a 3D-). The odds just don't work out.
- Scaling System: I really liked the simplicity of Scale in the Companion Rulebook of 1st Ed, where you toss out the die if it rolls higher than the cap. It's SIMPLE and even makes sense.
- Starting Char Points: For some reason, 2nd Ed characters start with Char Points. Free XP just doesn't make sense to me.
- Setting: It seems that the 2nd Ed setting is specifically designed for after RotJ. None of us want to play then, we want to play during the movies!

Well, that's what we've found so far. We're going to keep playing in 2nd Ed for the next few sessions and see if we feel any better, and if not, just revert back to 1st Ed. At the very least, if you plan on using 2nd Ed, get the R&E version. There's a few cleanups (like Skill Specializations, Init system, and changing the setting to be anything you want it to be) in the rulebook.

Now, if you DO go 1st Ed, here are the books I found invaluable:

Rulebooks
- Rulebook
- Sourcebook
- Rules Companion

DEFINATELY get the Rules Companion. What few changes between 1st and 2nd Ed that are good are all found in the Rules Companion.

Sourcebooks
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Rebel Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 5: Tramp Freighters
- Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts

I've also found the first Planet Guide to be good on creating your own systems. In fact, most of the Galaxy Guides are really good. The ones I found kind of pointless were the ones on the movies, since they are just character writeups of movie characters (unless of course, a campaign were to meet these particular characters).

Adventure Books
- Starfall
- Tatooine Manhunt
- Scavenger Hunt

LOVE Starfall. Best one out there IMHO. I mean, an adventure that allows the players to run around inside a Star Destroyer? Cool. And Tatooine Manhunt is just a fun one.

Anyways, good luck Smile

-shnar

Last edited by shnar on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another comment, we haven't gotten into space/vehicle stuff yet, but I loved the simplicity of the original system (as was described earlier). It fits the cinematic feel of the movies very nicely. The way 2nd Ed revamped it may feel more realistic, but it's more complicated (and thus time consuming) and less cinematic.

We like our games to move, like how the movies moved along, and so the feel of 1st Ed is a lot more of our style of play. If we wanted a more realistic game, we'd be playing Spacemaster. 1st Ed Star Wars is definately more of a multi-player story telling device than a realistic chart managing system.

-shnar
shadoes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greeting all. First post here thought I would chime in.

I have always liked the Heroes and Rogues book for some extra character templates. If you can find it I would recommend picking it up.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New Guy interested in 1st Edition Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
The starting scenarios were nice in the 1st Ed Rulebook (Cal Ambre with Roark rescuing his copilot, & Rebel Breakout to get PCs in the Rebellion right away). I wish they had been revamped.

The solitaire adventure in the 1st Edition book which features smuggler Roark Garnet rescuing his co-pilot is called "Regina Cayli" and it was upgraded to 2nd Edition in Star Wars Adventure Journal #1.

shnar wrote:
Wild Die: I'm not a big fan of the Wild Die. If you have 5 or less dice, you pretty much have a 1 in 6 chance of your roll having *no* effect what so ever (if you roll a 1, you take away the Wild Die AND the Highest Die you rolled, so your 5D has suddenly changed to a 3D-). The odds just don't work out.

What I've seen a lot of people forget is there are 3 ways the GM may chose to resolve rolling a 1 on the wild die, according to the 2nd Edition R&E book:

1) Add the dice up normally.
2) Add the dice normally, but a "complication" occurs.
3) Subtract the 1 and also the highest other die.

The odds "work out" if the GM doesn't go overboard on option 3. And with option 2, the GM choses the complication, which can be a minor one if needed. Or if the players have had a lot of bad luck in one adventure, the GM can lean towards the dice adding up normally as in option one. Rolling a 1 is bad luck as it is. The wild die is completely under the control of the GM, and a good GM is not going to make the penalty of the 1's outweigh the advantage of rolling 6's.

I think the wild die is essential to Star Wars, and even if you use 1st edition, you can still add the wild die without needing a chart to refer to. The rules are easy for even a beginning GM to remember.

All that being said, I still highly recommend using 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded.

However, I will mention another option that it seems most people on this board don't have: The Star Wars Adventure Game. This boxed set was designed for beginners in mind, but has some of the good features of 2nd Edition. This game was produced as the simplified version of 2nd Edition R&E. So it is simple and basic like 1st edition, but closer to 2nd R&E. You can think of it as similar to the D&D Basic Set, which I think you mentioned you have played. And you could still get 2nd Edition resources and adapt them easily to the Adventure Game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy interested in 1st Edition Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I think the wild die is essential to Star Wars, and even if you use 1st edition, you can still add the wild die without needing a chart to refer to. The rules are easy for even a beginning GM to remember.

That's the crux of 1st Ed vs. 2nd Ed: needing a chart. The rules are so simple and elegant in 1st Ed is that you rarely need to refer to a chart. 2nd Ed complicated things for very little return (wild die just being one example, and it's obvious not *essential* to Star Wars, since the game existed just fine for 10 years without it).

But that's what you should use deciding between 1st and 2nd. Do you want a quick, simple and fun game? Go 1st ed. You want a game that sacrifices some simplicity for more realism (and let's be honest, the game is still pretty simple compared to some games), then go 2nd ed.

-shnar
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Guy interested in 1st Edition Reply with quote

shnar wrote:
(wild die just being one example, and it's obvious not *essential* to Star Wars, since the game existed just fine for 10 years without it).

I'm not trying to bust your chops shnar, but the 1st edition came out in late 1987, and 2nd edition came out in mid-1992. So the game did not exit for "10 years" without the wild die. It was actually less than 5 years. The 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded even came out less then 10 years after the 1st edition.

And I feel that the Wild Die is essential to Star Wars because it is so Star Wars cinema. The legendary smuggler and Rebel hero Han Solo should be able to sneak up on a scout trooper under normal game mechanics, but the wild die introduces the possiblity of expert failure and complications - like Han looking down at the twig that he stepped on allowing the scout trooper to turn around and hit him. And if it wasn't for that complication, the Rebels may not have met the Ewoks and Solo's unit may have lost the battle on the ground. If the shield generator hadn't been destroyed, then the Rebel Fleet would not have been able to destroy the Death Star. The Rebels would have been finished. And just the same, very unskilled characters can get extremely lucky sometimes and exceed beyond their abilities. So in my opinion, the wild die is very Star Wars.

Is the wild die required? No. But I said it was essential because once I started using it in 1992, it was hard to imagine ever playing Star Wars without it. And for the sake of this thread starter who is interested in simplicity, the game mechanics of the wild die are easy and don't require a chart to use. That's why I recommend the use of the wild die even if playing 1st edition.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying the Wild Die is bad, I'm saying it epitomizes the difference between 1st ed and 2nd ed. Added complexity to an otherwise simple game.

And my bad on the dates. I was out-of-country when 2nd ed game out, so for me, I felt like 10 years (I coulda sworn it was mid 80s not late 80s, but my memory gets worse as I get older Wink).

-shnar
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Star Wars Adventure Game fondly...

Thanks for the reference to the "Regina Cayli" adventure Whill! I'm going to try yanking that one out again. *proceeds to shake off dust & cobwebs*

...I've found things I could employ from 1st Ed. & 2nd Ed., & hybridized a system with elements of both. The Rules Companion is in my opinion a must-buy when available, regardless of which edition preferred: it expanded 1st Ed. while retaining simplicity, & provides material that may be incorporated into 2nd Ed.

I concur with shnar regarding favorite eras in which to play: the Original Trilogy era has so much to offer for adventures.
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. IMHO, the Rules Companion "completed" the 1st Ed. rules. They filled in the few gaps that existed in the 1st ed, like scale, pips, droids, the force as skills, etc. They of course incorporated all of this in 2nd Ed, and then expanded a lot more.

But of course, play as you and your players deem most appropriate for you Smile

-shnar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: