The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Guy interested in 1st Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> New Guy interested in 1st Edition Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: New Guy interested in 1st Edition Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out which version to pick up, and have done the due diligence of reading old threads on these forums. While I've been able to find out that most people around here prefere 2ndR&E, I've seen lots of comments like "it cleaned up lots of things" without really saying what things got cleaned up. So based on my current enjoyment of rules simple rpgs (including the joy of discovering OD&D after many years of D&D), I've decided to give 1st edition star wars a closer look and it's currently my leading candidate to purchase. So for those of you in the know, I have a few questions:

Other than the Main book, what is needed or recommended for running 1st Edition? From what I've read so far the Sourcebook sounds like a must and Cracken's Field Guide sounds good too. What about:

-the Campaign Pack
-The Rules Companion (haven't really been able to tell what is in here)
-Gamemaster Kit
-Imperial Sourcebook
-Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
-Planets of the Galaxy

I understand that the vehicle combat rules and force rules changed between 1st and 2nd edition. How are they different?

Thanks! And if any 2nd edition lovers want to explain why 1st edition wouldn't be the best way for me to go, feel free.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth is, as I see it, there isn't really that big a difference between D6 1st, 2nd or R&E. They are all pretty much the same thing with a few added skills, different speed code and scaling system. Therefore I would recommend 2nd Ed (R&E or otherwise) simpy because all the material you'll find around the net will be in 2nd edition. If you just purchase the Rulebook you're good to go (I gamed for many long years with just that book and it never felt lacking).
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be slightly different than what you were asking for, but I'll give a quick snapshot of some of the 1st edition to 2nd edition changes.

If you're looking for PURE simplicity, then 1st edition is the way to go. However, it may make things a bit too simple. Combat isn't quite as threatening as in 2nd edition, Force powers are a little too accessible to the Jedi, there's no real difference between firing a hand blaster and a vehicle-mounted anti-aircraft weapon, and a few other things. It's been a while since I've looked at the first edition book, so It's hard for me to remember. Also, the second edition adds scale, a broader skill differentiation.

One must mention the "wild die" (added in 2nd ed). It's honestly the best part of playing in D6. Mostly, you have one die in your dice pool that's a different color or size. If it rolls a 6, then you get to roll it over again, and add it to the total. If you do the improbable, and keep rolling several sequential 6's, then you just keep adding that to the total. Of course, the wild die has a mean streak... if you roll a 1, then the GM often introduces a plot complication. For example, in one of my games, someone rolled a 1 on the dodge roll. The roll was high enough to succeed with the rest of the dice, but I told him that he dodged out of the way of the incoming blaster fire and dove behind a crate. After closer inspection, he noticed that the crate was marked "EXPLOSIVES." Things got real dicey after that.

No matter which edition you choose, you're getting something FAR simpler than any version of the d20 games.

Probably the biggest advantages of going with 1st edition is that you will learn it most easily, and that there are a vast number of cheap adventure books for you to begin on (though the largest body of work is for 2nd ed). Book prices overall on 1st edition are dirt cheap.

As far as books?

- The Star Wars Sourcebook - It's not recomeneded -- it's a MUST HAVE. The rulebook provides you with insufficient stats to run a decent game. You've GOT to have this book if you run 1st edition.

- Galaxy Guide 6 - Tramp Freighters - It's a solid book with information on ship modification, a few samples of ships, and I think that the 1st edition still has an adventure in the back (though that may have been added just for second edition).

- Rebel Sourcebook - It's a staple of the collections. I can think of half a dozen 2nd ed books I'd put on the list first, but of the 1st ed books, it's probably on the better end.

- Imperial Sourcebook - See above.
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, regardless of what edition you are using, get Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim. It was the first sourcebook I ever bought and I still think it's the best one.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good summing up, cheshire. I wasn't aware that there was no wild die in 1st edition. In that case I replace my earlier comment with: PLAY SECOND EDITION! Really, what's the point in playing SW D6 if there's no wild die.....
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could just add the wild die as an option in 1st edition.
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for Revised Expanded- do you get a good selection of ships, enemies, equipment, etc? Or do you need to get some other book(s)?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R&E Rulebook already comes with a fair collection of ships, aliens, equipment, etc. It's surely enough to run an adventure and base other stuff on. But, not to blow my own horn, you can download my PDF books collection here on the forums and, well, have pretty much all there is to have in term of stats.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a horn worth blowing, why not?

But yeah, R&E is great. There are some (thought not many) who will still favor the plan 2nd ed. The scale system is different it that, but I think the R&E scale system is easier.

I've got a different set of recommended books if you're going 2nd ed. If you get the R&E book, then you really don't NEED anything else. It's got enough rules, equipment, ships, and NPCs to get you started. It's also got a great intro adventure that I use in most of my campaigns (adapted in one form or another).

Tales of the Jedi Companion - Several rules and suggestions for running a Jedi Campaign. It has the most complete official compilation of Force Powers (though it is not exhaustive). But if you have Jedi in your game, I can't think of a reason not to get this book.

Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim - Great background information for filler pieces and adventure hooks.

Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters - Said it before, great book. Get it.

Galaxy Guide 12: Allies and Enemies - Sometimes you just need a good alien. This has got a selection of aliens from around the galaxy complete with cultural information, technology level, and political place in the galaxy. Surely not an indispensable resource, but a valued one nonetheless.

Then there are several books I'd suggest, depending on what sort of campaign you're running. If you're running a rebel ops campaign, I'd recommend a few other pieces. If you're doing smugglers, then there are another few extras I'd suggest.[/b]
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there's no real difference between firing a hand blaster and a vehicle-mounted anti-aircraft weapon,

How so? Do you mean they require the same skill to do? Do both weapons do the same amount of damage?
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, can anyone chime in with what sort of stuff is in these products for 1st Edition?:

Campaign Pack
Rules Companion
Gamemaster Kit

From the titles they sound like stuff a starter GM might be interested in, is there useful stuff in there?
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfgar wrote:
Quote:
there's no real difference between firing a hand blaster and a vehicle-mounted anti-aircraft weapon,

How so? Do you mean they require the same skill to do? Do both weapons do the same amount of damage?

I thought that they used the same skill, but apparently they don't. I know there were some skill changes. I'll just go ahead and list the 1st edition skills. I can give you a reference to the 2nd ed skills towards the end.

DEX:
Blaster
Brawling Parry
Dodge
Grenade
Heavy Weapons
Melee Parry
Meele Weapons

KNOW
Alien Races
Bureaucracy
Languages
Planetary Systems
Streetwise
Survival
Technology

MECH
Astrogation
Beast Riding
Repulsar Craft Operation
Starship Gunnery
Starship Piloting
Starship Shields

PER
Bargain
Command
Con
Gambling
Hide/Sneak
Search

STR
Brawling
Climbing/Jumping
Lifting
Stamina
Swimming

TECH
Computer Programing/Repair
Demolition
Droid Programing/Repair
Repulsarlift Repair
Security
Starship Repair

You can find a list of the skills and specializations in 2nd edition in a handout I made a while back:

http://krapz.free.fr/data/SWD6_New_Player_Handout.zip
wulfgar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that vehicle rules were overhauled between 1st and 2nd Edition. How are they different?

(Vehicle combat is something that I've always found to be tough to depict in an rpg and have never seen a rules set I really like. Considering how important space battles are to Star Wars getting the vehicle rules right would be quite important for me)
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One key area - in 1st ed vehicles had a speed die code, whereas in 2nd ed they have a discreet number of units that can be moved. That facilitated the use of weapon ranges in 2nd ed, and made the relative speeds of vehicles fairly clear and not so subject to pilot ability. 2nd ed also added specific maneuvers that could be attempted.

For what it's worth, my group has gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the Star Warriors game when it comes to space battles. The Rules Companion for 1st ed has rules for converting D6 stats for use in that game, which work well if you adjust them a bit with common sense. I've been working (on and off) on making a usable ground vehicle version. If you can find a copy it may be worth grabbing.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starship combat is similar. However, the 1st edition has die codes for the ship speeds, and the 2nd edition has standard maximum speeds. So, in first edition, if I'm trying to run away from you, and you try to chase after me, I roll my Starship Piloting skill, plus my vehicle speed, then you roll yours. If my roll is higher, then I move from medium range to long range. If you beat my roll, then we move from medium range to long range.

Things aren't quite as simple in 2nd ed. They use standard measurements of distance in space (generally just called "units"). If we're at 5 units, and you're chasing after me, I can use my standard speed (of 6 speed units) and you use your standard speed (of 4 space units), and I move from 5 to 7. I can choose to put more throttle into the engines and move up to 12 to escape faster, but that has some penalties, and I'm not allowed to have as much maneuverability. So, say in combat, you have a gunner who is firing at me, you can ramp your ship speed up to twice or three times the standard cruising speed, and catch up to me quickly. If I'm having to dodge your gunner's shots, I have to devote more of my ships movement to staying alive, and thus only move (I think) my standard cruising speed distance. So, If I'm moving 6, and you're moving 8, you close the distance easily.

There's also a difference in damage. I can post something about that as well if you'd like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: