The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Conundrum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Conundrum Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Dark Side Conundrum Reply with quote

While getting ready for my game tonight, I've realized that I'm going to have to walk very lightly around one of the characters..

In last weeks game, the FS wookie spent a FP, and used brawling to kill outright (13+ excess damage), an Imperial Officer, Elite Trooper, and Gammorean Guard, who were guarding the group as prisoners.

As I thought that using the FP was excessive, when he knows that he can normally down people easily with brawling, and he didn't even consider pulling the punches to stun, I gave the player a DSP.

My problem is this:
In other games, (Oriental D&D, Vampire: The Dark Ages), when he's been offered the chance for power, through morally dubious actions, he's embraced them, and seems delighted with the power he gains.

Now, while I -hope- that this won't happen in Star Wars, part of me is fairly sure it will, if he figures out there's something to gain (the +1D), from starting to accumulate DSPs.

I guess what I'm looking for, is some advice on a creative way to have the Dark Side tempt the character, without it being overly reflected in game stats (Dice to force skills, Learning new force powers, etc).

As he's only got one DSP at the moment, I was considering having (a la cartoons) him have an angel, and a devil, one on each shoulder.

The devil will be trying to have him embrace the dark side more fully, while the angel will be trying to convince him that he should repent, and atone for the DSP that he's already gained..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily have to even resort to that. As the GM it's your right (even your responsibility) to pull the player aside, or tell him before he commits an action that will gain a DSP, and warn them of what's to come. Let them know that their actions are going to gain DSPs for them, and remind them that after a certain point they're going to LOSE that character, and might even face them down the line as an NPC opponent. If nothing you do works, then they're going to have to face the music sooner or later.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give him fair warning of the consequences of his actions, and he doesn't change his ways, let him get all the DSPs he wants, let him get evil and mighty, and when he gets enough DSPs, take the character away from him, and turn that character into the most vicious adversary ever seen. Make his new character's life a living hell. Sometimes negative reinforcement is the only thing that works.
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I pull players aside, is if they're doing something on their own, as it's easier to stop metagaming that way.

If there's two of them there, I play it out at the table..

Back onto the topic though, I give the players enough rope to hang themselves with. IMHO, it's their actions that dictate what happens, and I should only stand in the way of their actions if it would be detremental to the game.

The biggest problem that I'm facing tonight, I guess, is that the Wookie in question, left a captured gammorean in the hands of another player, who'd threatened to kill him while the Wookie was there.

If the other player kills the Gamm, I'd be torn between giving the Wookie another DSP, for failing to intervene (turning his back on the situation), or just chalking up the action to the NFS character who would have killed in cold blood..
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in that situation you should warn the wookie that he will get s DSP. some people don't fully understand the implications of inaction, especially if the other character really would kill the gammaroian.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, just sit down with the group, and go over the Dark Side Points section in the book. So they know all the Pros and Cons of dark side like abilities. And remember, each time they get a DSP roll 2D6, and if they roll under the amount of DSP's they have, they turn to the dark side (which all my players find easier to understand as if you roll over the amount of DSP's you dont turn to the dark side)

As well, warn him saying "if you do x, you gain a DSP"

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, definitely give the player the rope to hang himself with... just let him know that he's tieing tie noose. You don't have to give warnings privately, just announce it to the whole table, "Wookiee, you're in danger of a DSP for x (in)action" and let them decide how to respond and how the character would respond. If that eventually leads to loss of the character to NPC status, well, that's how it goes, and, as mentioned, gives you a great NPC to throw at the group later.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above posters. Give him the rope to hang himself with but make sure he is aware of the possible consequences of his actions.

Personally, me and my gaming groups have never been fans of sending a PC to NPC status for turning to the dark side. It's always been my belief that just because someone becomes evil doesn't mean they HAVE to sacrifice their friendships. Generally speaking though it takes some very mature roleplayers to pull off a group dynamic like that and that isn't always the case. Most of the time if someone turned to the dark side they would create a new character just for the sake of the group; but it was always situational.

Troops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6rqAJ3mGc
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never been huge on the dark side character loss thing, but I've always imposed a limit on how evil a player character can be. Selfish/self-motivated evil is ok, but not outright bloodthirsty dominating evil...

I've been slowly compiling a file on Force rules in this .doc file, which includes some ideas for running dark side character (with emphasis on Force users, though it can apply to non-Force users). It includes official rules and expanded rules for sith that I nabbed from the net (and made minor modifications here and there; I don't know the original author('s/s') identity) as well as two house rule systems I've been developing with friends. Use it or not as you will Wink
It's a doc still in preparation, so formatting is all over the place; when I have the content done, I plan to homogenize formatting and possibly create a full pdf in the vein of Gry's books.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to limit the players actions I'd definately start going with the whole whispers in the dreams tactic.

When that player dreams just have mildly disturbing dreams of brutality violence and power (based on tramatric events from the characters past) filter through the restful slumber. If you're descriptive enough the players mind might change.

If he keeps up and starts gaining more DSPs you can always make the dreams so violent that sleep stops being restful and the tattered remains of their morality torments them in their sleep (start applying fatigue penalties). Of course once they become an NPC and embrace the darkside they accept what they are and have no problem with the dreams.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
If you want to limit the players actions I'd definately start going with the whole whispers in the dreams tactic.

When that player dreams just have mildly disturbing dreams of brutality violence and power (based on tramatric events from the characters past) filter through the restful slumber. If you're descriptive enough the players mind might change.

If he keeps up and starts gaining more DSPs you can always make the dreams so violent that sleep stops being restful and the tattered remains of their morality torments them in their sleep (start applying fatigue penalties). Of course once they become an NPC and embrace the darkside they accept what they are and have no problem with the dreams.

Actually, I would take it one step further. They would actually "Sleep Walk" Places.

For Example: They are on a planet investigating. the go to sleep one night, and wake up the next morning, and people are recoiling from his sight. Turns out, he went on a killing spree the previous night and doesnt remember a thing...

have his sabatoge the ship, so it arrives in system with another dark lord..

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i can understand your dilema, you are mistaken in one part, in that unless he is a force USER he gains no benefit from the dark side points he has..
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While i can understand your dilema, you are mistaken in one part, in that unless he is a force USER he gains no benefit from the dark side points he has..

You are absolutely correct about the rule, but she did describe the Wookiee as Force Sensitive.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But just being force sensitive does not automatically make one force using.
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm back from the game.

I'm writing up the session notes atm, and when I've finished that, I'll post what happened here.

Needless to say, the Wookie ended up with a second DSP.

He is a force user. I tend to stick to calling them just force sensitive, as the wookie is self-taught, so I don't really hold him to strictly to the jedi codes, but do keep a moral leash on him, so to speak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: