The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Calling on the dark side and force points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Calling on the dark side and force points. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Calling on the dark side and force points. Reply with quote

Just a few questions concerning these.

1. It might seem obvious, but just to verify: if you call on the dark side (CODS) in the same round you use an FP, does the control/perception check for the CODS get doubled?

2. The extra FP gained from CODS can be used in the same round as a normal FP. How, exactly, does this affect checks made after this? Does the redouble result in *treble* die codes (as double-doubling does in WotC) or does it result in *quadruple* die codes?

Example: Darth Nabal, the self-styled (and wannabe) Sith Lord, has 2d+2 in Alter, and really, really needs to escape, so he blows an FP and uses CODS to enhance his Alter to use injure-kill on the hero team's Wookiee Bounty Hunter; the glow stick isn't gonna do much to the Wookiee, especially one wearing a modified Corellian powersuit.

Assuming that Nabal makes his CODS check, which of the following would his Alter be at? 6d+6, or 8d+8?
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to see after reading the rules that he would roll 8D+8 because the rule states that this is "in addition to any force points already spent that round" and a force point doubles all skill and attribute totals as well as special abilities. I think COSD is designed like that to make that automatic dsp attractive if you really have to save yourself and the first force point didnt help.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rules are writen for use of good pc's not turned to the dark side NPC's.

That said what I'm getting at is after yove turned to the dark side it is not so sweet any more. So I'm pretty sure that when a DS character uses a DS point he just gets to add 1D per point to what ever roll he is using it for.

In your example this would mean 2D+2 + FP = 4D+4 + DSP = 5D+4.

Now of course I could be wrong on this, and I'm sure that if I am, some one will let us know very soon Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE have argued the latter part of that question, as to whether they stack or don't..... Its almost an even split (iirc) between those who think they do, and those who think they don't.. as to the first one. YES if you are on the FP already, and you call on the darkside, your perception is already doubled.
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is one of the grey areas within the rules which for the most part are solid. I would have to say that the decision would be up to the GM as there is not obvious clear cut way. Just be sure that however you rule it once you rule it the same the rest of the time. Players are notorious for remembering rules when it benefits their characters. As far as the extra 1D I believe that is getting mistaken that dark side characters get to add 1D for every dsp the have when they use a force skill.
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allst Beamem wrote:
These rules are writen for use of good pc's not turned to the dark side NPC's.

That said what I'm getting at is after yove turned to the dark side it is not so sweet any more. So I'm pretty sure that when a DS character uses a DS point he just gets to add 1D per point to what ever roll he is using it for.

In your example this would mean 2D+2 + FP = 4D+4 + DSP = 5D+4.

Now of course I could be wrong on this, and I'm sure that if I am, some one will let us know very soon Very Happy

Nono. That's the Dark Force bonus to Force skills; I used the example of a darksider in order to avoid that particular entanglement. (And for a character with one DSP in yer example there, it would come out 6d+4; the Dark Force bonus would also double, as it's just a voluntary increase to yer Force skills.)

"Calling on the dark side" is the ability to get a "free" Force Point by accepting a DSP; it requires a Control or Perception check depending on whether or not you are force-sensitive, whether or not you intend to use it for harm or evil purposes, and how often you've done so in the same adventure.

Force-sensitive, first time, harmful/evil use: Easy
Non-FS: +1 level
Not harmful/evil use: +2 levels
Subsequent uses in the same adventure: +1 level, cumulative.

Failing the check causes Dark Side Corruption, and you lose 1d from an attribute or Force skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising this one from the dead for our new folk.

BTB when you call on the dark side and succeed at calling it (determined by the Perception or control check), you gain a 'force point' which must be spent immediately even if already on a force point.

Do YOU read that to mean you quad up? Or do you triple it?
Assuran
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, you quad it up.

The Dark Side is supposed to offer a quick and powerful advantage to seduce you into using it.

I understand how others could view it differently RAW, but I like to make the Dark Side as seductive as possible to use when people are desperate (IE, when someone is most likely to fall).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to quad it, too.

Somebody earlier posted something about getting +1D to Force skills when calling on the Dark side. Is that from the rules somewhere?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were mistaking the "lure of the dark side" rule where for every DSP a force user has (NOT TURNED YET) he MAY gain s +1d to his force skill rolls per DSP he possesses, but if he refuses the dark side bonus, his rolls are at a higher difficulty.
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is a perfect example of what WEG should have made clear in the rule book.

Example, "Ana is fighting a Dark Jedi and uses a force point: now her lightsaber skill roll is 12D+4. Even still, Ana struggles against her foe. As the Dark Jedi presses the attack Ana succumbs to desperation and calls on the Dark Side for strength. Ana automatically receives a Dark Side Point and then attempts an easy control roll. She succeeds with a 12 and receives a Force Point which she must spend immediately. Now her lightsaber skill roll is 24D+8."
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

THe way I interpreted the RAW was that if you called on the dark side, you got and spent the "free" Force Point, but you couldn't use it for a second doubling bonus as you were limited to one FP per round by RAW with only a handful of special cases involving Force Powers that required FPs to use.

Besides if the doublings stacked, then a Jedi would stand almost no chance against a Sith. Vader would overwhelm Obi-wan or Luke easily. And that's not how it works in the films.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. But one could also rationalize that in RotJ Luke was getting his @$$ handed to him by Vader until he called on the Dark side (the part where he starts pounding on Vader, causing the Dark Lord to go down to one knee).

In other words, both start out normally. Vader pops a Force Point and Luke does the same (they both double). Then Vader spends a DS point (quading everything) and has the upper hand until Luke also pops a DS point (relying on his anger), quading things for himself as well.

Now, that said, I only point that playing Emperor's Advocate.

Myself, I think I might take an approach this from at's perspective, and here's why:

Right now a battle between good and bad Force users could be fairly even, if one was 6D in the appropriate stat (Lightsaber skill, Control, etc.) and the other 7D. When that is doubled, it's still comparable (14D to 12D). But when you quad things, it's getting into the realm of where the stronger side will almost always win (28D to 24D).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Possibly. But one could also rationalize that in RotJ Luke was getting his @$$ handed to him by Vader until he called on the Dark side (the part where he starts pounding on Vader, causing the Dark Lord to go down to one knee).

But I can't see how one could rationalize it that way. By the RAW if Vader were kicking Luke's butt, Luke would get sliced up. Lighsabers do tons of damage in the RAW, and if Vader were quadded up Luke's dead meat.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

But I can't see how one could rationalize it that way. By the RAW if Vader were kicking Luke's butt, Luke would get sliced up. Lighsabers do tons of damage in the RAW, and if Vader were quadded up Luke's dead meat.

That's true. As per the RAW, every battle is the equivalent of Obi-Wan vs. Ponda Baba. In other words, within about a second, one person has a body part lopped off (or is cut in two). Hence the reason I've house ruled lightsaber combat such that it gives one regular results of a successful parry (so we can end up with fights like what we saw between Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: