The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New races.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New races. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that there are enough, but you have to remember that not everyone has the race books. Some people only have about 4-9 choices from the main books and want more.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And looking at some races, they just do not strike me as being useful to PCs.. Like the anointed ones (the big cockroach looking ones), or those 3 legged featherless chicken ones...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or all the ones that have way too many attributte dice to be played with anything other than their own kind. Like an all "Star Dragon" game.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fehya wrote:
It might be me, but aren't there already enough listed races for SW, without needing to borrow/ammend etc.

Does that also apply to starships, weapons, and equipment? I mean, there's plenty of each out there as evidenced by Gry's books...why would anyone ever need to make another home-brew weapon, or suit of armor, or starship? Rolling Eyes

I'd say it is probably a person's preference to include new and interesting races to the Star Wars universe for their games.

Now I haven't read through all that garhkal posted, and I highly doubt that I'd ever use them in a game I ran even if I do read through the new races, but I don't hold anything against him or anyone else that wants to make up new races or convert races from other games into stats for use in Star Wars. Same applied for people who come up with new uber-weapons, or new ships, or new armor, or whatever. Sure there are plenty in the books, but why limit yourself to just what is in the books? Why limit yourself to just what is listed in one game system?

If you don't like the idea, or don't like the fact that it's from another system, then don't use it. One of the things that I always try to do if I read some stats of something I don't like is either don't comment about it if I can't make anything other than a snide comment, or comment and offer alternatives or suggestions on how to tweak the stats so as to be a little less wild (or a little less whatever-it-was that I didn't like about it).

I don't want to see this board turn into a place where people don't want to post their ideas or stats on something for fear that others will start pouncing on them for using an idea or borrowing a concept from another place. We're all fans of the same game here, and we should do what we can to assist others in expanding the game and keeping it alive.

I don't normally lecture, but there was just a tone here that had been grating on me and I needed to state my peace before the tone became an ingrained doctrine.
Fehya
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong.
I borrow ideas from anywhere.
Just recently ran a padawan game very loosely based on Exorcist: The Beginning as a plot line, worked out very well.
Our main characters are using the 'Deep Space 9' scenario.
We've used in the past the 'Vogager' scenario.
Space Vampires, used them as well, based on 'Lifeforce'.

I admire the guy for taking the time and effort in stating the races, and it looks as though he has done a very good job.

My comment was really 'Does every game system have an ELF in it?'
If I wanted Elves I'd play AD&D, and we do 2nd edition.
Which is another sore point. Why are nearly all new force powers just AD&D spell conversions? And the 'Deck of Many Things' in SW, I don't think so.
WOTC want shooting with a Superlaser.

Lots of people didn't like my Imperium ship, didn't stop me from stating it, probably never use it though.

Any way like you said, if you like something then use it, and if you don't then don't.

Look forward to seeing the proposed new races with pictures.

Please keep posting, from my observations most fan based material is better than the official stuff anyway.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Grimace 100%, very well put. When I first read this thread my first reaction was writing a post saying "Hey, I compiled a book with about 444 official alien species! What do you need to be converting species from other systems for?!" But then I thought again and realized, why the heck not? If that's what someone wants to add to their game, more power to him! If all we wanted was to stick with what we have, there wouldn't be much use to these boards. What we usually do here is seek input on new stuff and situations.

And after a second thought, I realized that two of my old characters (from the pre-pdf days) are actually original species which I really like, so what the heck was I thinking?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True... And thanks for the back up grimmy.

What about the powers some have? Like the Nistanni's EF/EDF? Or the Utkentenya's windwalking??
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And although I thought the overall ship was a bit excessive, I still liked the general concept, Fehya!!! Wink

The only reason I offered some alternatives for stats was to give you some ideas for options in case you ever actually wanted to use it. (Or anyone else out there who saw and loved it, for that matter.)
Admiral Andersen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is VERY important that the alien races you create are balanced. I have been a D6 SW GM for about 13 years, and it is my experience that races with high attribute max in dex., perc., str. and a lot of special abilities ruin the game instead of enhancing it. I have playtestet races myself that I made when I was new in the game, and they were all bad so we don't use them anymore. There are more than enough combat minded races, and they do not contribute to good roleplaying, but just hack 'n slash. The D6 system is great for campaigns because you buy pips in skills that are made available because of the things your character learn, and not something that are determined by a class. So don't let your hack 'n slash aliens take over the good roleplaying element.

Non-balanced aliens won't last long, and gets boring and single-minded very quick.

Pardon my spelling, I am from Denmark.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob. Of all these races, the only 2 that i did not play test several times, were the 2 near human ones, the Katsumai and Solanni.

The nistanni, are hampered greatly by their EDF, much more so than people think. Think about it, they cant operate most electronic equipment (well that well), like comlinks, blasters, datapads. And heaven forbit someone pays them with a credit stick. Also, we had one ship of pcs that got destroyed, because someone decided to lean the knocked out nistanni against the Nav Comp, while they were trying to go into hyperspace....

The Vodooni, are not much different than the shistaven, defel, or other wolf/cat like races, though one comment i did have, was assign one sense a penalty, to offset their sense of smell bonus...
Any suggestions?

As for the Utkentenya, while their windwalking is a great ability, how many times in a normal adventure will it crop up? That plus their double cost to learn force powers, even with a teacher (quadrouple otherwise if they dont have one), and only a D4 for resisting the dark side... all imo are more than enough off an offset for the windwalking..
Admiral Andersen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Penalty on a sense Reply with quote

Hmmm... A penalty is not necessary, but it is not a bad idea.

It could be limited range for eyesight. Perhaps with a penalty to difficulty number beyond a certain range.

Just remember, not all races are ment to playing characters.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of balanced races, what about the Noghri?

The NPC's have a base of 16D, and if you add 6D to that for PC's, they get very powerful right off the bat. Is that correct, or do they only get 18D like every other PC?

E
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a problem with most of the races garkhal made, but they are still mostly from other games and I wanted to poke fun. Sorry for the controversy...

As for adding 6d to the NPC to make a PC. I never do that. Tis 18d for every PC, nice and balanced.
to finance my 'vette!
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18D for all. I agree with that. We've played both ways and I'll tell you what, everyone wants to be a Noghri! LOL...

Behold the mighty cube! Thou mayest use 18 of them in thine creation!

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayest I add the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch to mine arsenal?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: