The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

ships computer and datalink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> ships computer and datalink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: ships computer and datalink Reply with quote

pg 32 Cracken's rebel field guide.
states that you can only control simple things the ships computer normally dose it's self.

couple questions.
how integrated are the different computers?
astrogation, navigation, gunnery, am I missing any?

what kind of upgrade to the ship would it take to allow the datalink or a direct cable connection to control the ship?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the ship. Some ships the computer could control quite a lot, but has the risk therefore if the computer gets taken over, it can overrule those on the ship. While others prefer to have as much manually operated as possible, rather than ran by the computer.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ships computer and datalink Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
states that you can only control simple things the ships computer normally dose it's self.

couple questions.

what kind of upgrade to the ship would it take to allow the datalink or a direct cable connection to control the ship?

Whenever dealing with the "ship's computer" in that context, it would only affect basic ship systems, such as life support, artificial gravity, doors, airlocks, running lights, climate control, etc. In that context, it would not affect flight or navigational systems, nor shields, sensors, gunnery systems, etc. The ship's computer concept in Star Wars is very rudimentary when compared to the "ship's computer" concept in, say, Star Trek (though even that one has its limits). And while I say rudimentary, there is still a ton you can do with that if you're imaginative. Slavers just took over your ship? Trigger the fire suppression apparatus. Good job, Blue Max, you just saved the day.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ships computer and datalink Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
Savar wrote:

couple questions.

Whenever dealing with the "ship's computer" in that context, it would only affect basic ship systems, such as life support, artificial gravity, doors, airlocks, running lights, climate control, etc. In that context, it would not affect flight or navigational systems, nor shields, sensors, gunnery systems, etc. The ship's computer concept in Star Wars is very rudimentary when compared to the "ship's computer" concept in, say, Star Trek (though even that one has its limits). And while I say rudimentary, there is still a ton you can do with that if you're imaginative. Slavers just took over your ship? Trigger the fire suppression apparatus. Good job, Blue Max, you just saved the day.

so a serious upgrade to get it all to talk.
5-10% ship cost?
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ships computer and datalink Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Matthias777 wrote:
Savar wrote:

couple questions.

so a serious upgrade to get it all to talk.
5-10% ship cost?

Yeah, something like that. Though if I were an author writing it into a SW novel (or just a GM), it would be prone to breakdowns and malfunctions unless it was the product of an actual R&D project from a company with lots of money.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also make it take a long time to install, say 2-3 months for a freighter for all the re-writing and computer reprogramming...

Additionally if it IS fully all through out the ship, you could get into strange situations with what happens if the 'droid brain' controlling it, got memory wiped? Does it still recognize you as its owner?
Will it willfully go into battle, or will it fight you since it 'doesn't want you to die'??
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'd also make it take a long time to install, say 2-3 months for a freighter for all the re-writing and computer reprogramming...

Additionally if it IS fully all through out the ship, you could get into strange situations with what happens if the 'droid brain' controlling it, got memory wiped? Does it still recognize you as its owner?
Will it willfully go into battle, or will it fight you since it 'doesn't want you to die'??

didn't think about droid controller, was talking about borg control links.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
garhkal wrote:

didn't think about droid controller, was talking about borg control links.

We know that the Falcon, at least, has droid brains running some of its systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: