The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Turbo lasers on freighters??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Turbo lasers on freighters?? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Turbo lasers on freighters?? Reply with quote

Can a freighter support a turbo laser?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbos on a civilian freighter are iirc already a no go. A quad pack would imo be so illegal, any LE ship that scanned you would consider the freighter "Target #1" for capture/destroying.:
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
Can a freighter support a turbo laser?

GG6 offers turbolaser as a cannon option for space transports, so the basic idea is there. Historically, later in the Eastern Front during WWII, Stukas were reconfigured from dive bombers to gun platforms, carrying cannon equal in size to those found on some tanks at the time.
The main obstacle under the RAW is the limitation on fire-linking (no more than three cannon). My solution to this is to allow the daisy-chaining of fire-linking at increased price and difficulty, so that you can get a quad laser cannon by dual-linking two sets of dual linked cannon, just at double normal cost to fire link and +5 difficulty.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RX-4 Patrol Ship (p. 77, Pirates & Privateers) has twin turbolasers and a capital-scale ion cannon (but you can only shoot it once every 10 hrs, so make it count).

Now both the turbolasers listed in P&P and GG6 appear to be starfighter scale (apparently this is possible) and are illegal outside of law enforcement or security permit. If you want a capital-scale weapon, that's super illegal, probably to the point that authorities just assume you're a pirate and start shooting. Couple that with the insane power requirements and it's a headache.

It's definitely feasible, you just have to sacrifice enough cargo space and weight for the extra reactors and capacitors and be prepared to out talk, out run, or out gun any law enforcement types.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, merely having it will also mark your ship as a prize worthy of getting stolen by thieves.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Also, merely having it will also mark your ship as a prize worthy of getting stolen by thieves.

In the unlikely event that you would leave such a heavily armed vessel just sitting out in the open at some port somewhere, you would attract official attention long before thieves could get near it. A ship like this would really only be feasible for a government, the Alliance or pirates, and the later two would have them parked in hidden bases when they weren't on missions. As for governments? They have the resources to put the ship behind layers of armed guards and other security measures.

So yes, thieves certainly would love to get their hands on a ship like this. That doesn't mean doing so would be easy, or even possible.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say leave the consequences to the owner. If the campaign would benefit from a turbo laser mounded on a jet pack and the character has either the technical or financial wherwithal to make it happen, so be it. If he gets killed over it, so be it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A light freighter reconfigured as a gun platform would be useful as a starbomber variant, as well. With 100 metric tons or so to work with, and using the daisy-chaining method I suggested above, a light freighter could tack on multiple, fire-linked turbolaser cannon (at 5 metric tons apiece). Depending on which coordination method you use, the coordination bonuses for fire-linking multiple weapons together can scale up relatively quickly to something that has the potential to damage small capital ships.

Naturally, there should be some limitations put in place. Even though the rules don't say so, putting a half dozen or more turbolasers on a light freighter is going to provide a severe strain on the ship's power systems. Off the top of my head, I would require the installation of such a massive weapons array to include some form of secondary reactor or power capacitor to provide the necessary energy to fire it, as well as applying a relatively low fire rate, at least 1/2 or lower. That system alone will eat up most of the ship's usable cargo capacity, not to mention the fact that the ship will also need greater durability and performance enhancement to survive up-close to the kinds of targets it is likely to be used against.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Off the top of my head, I would require the installation of such a massive weapons array to include some form of secondary reactor or power capacitor to provide the necessary energy to fire it, as well as applying a relatively low fire rate, at least 1/2 or lower. That system alone will eat up most of the ship's usable cargo capacity, not to mention the fact that the ship will also need greater durability and performance enhancement to survive up-close to the kinds of targets it is likely to be used against.

In sparks, one of our longer term players did just that, getting a quad turbolaser attached to his HT-2200 freighter, and the GM who oversaw the installation, had it have a Fire rate of 1 shot every 4 rounds for power up, and it needed its own power generator (an additional 10 tons iirc of equipment)..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the old Traveller Spine Cannons, essentially a cannon in the ships core which the ship was built around. Limited fire arc iirc but helluva punsch!!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I remember the old Traveller Spine Cannons, essentially a cannon in the ships core which the ship was built around. Limited fire arc iirc but helluva punsch!!

Another reference is from the Honorverse, where the Shrike-Class Light Attack Craft was built around a spinal-mounted graser equal in power to the main armament on a battlecruiser, even though the ship was comparatively tiny and only carried a crew of 10.

Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a bulk freighter, or other cap ship, would easily handle a turbolaser.

A turbolaser is something like 1/8 or 1/10 the volume of the Millennium Falcon, not including power supply. Putting cap ship weapons on starfighter scale ships and making them viable is a daunting task.

Rule of cool, however, often trumps Rules as Written

ROC > RAW
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me it doesn't. Just cause it might be cool, doesn't mean i ignore the RAW for it.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't presume to speak for you Garhkal. I have new players and old players and I have to find a balance between rules and fun.
James43
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: tobo laser Reply with quote

has anyone seen d6 space? this is what the d6 star wars is based on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: