The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shield Recharging / Damage Revision
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Shield Recharging / Damage Revision
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Shield Recharging / Damage Revision Reply with quote

I’ve always felt that shields should recharge slowly rather than require repairs unless the shield generator itself is damaged. All too often a freelance job paying all of 10,000 credits gets spent on repairing a couple of blown shield dice when the ship itself is otherwise unscathed. I've GMd several such spacer runs where the shields were more of a cost hazard than a protection benefit. I’ve revised the starship damage table to reflect rechargeable shields, and edited the controls ionized description which, in the RAW, describes shield penalties, which doesn't make sense being that controls are only ionized once the shields are completely knocked out. Also, under my house rule, damage of 0-3 only causes 1 pip of shield loss rather than a whole die. Standard shield generators recharge at a rate of 1 pip per hour of non-combat flight, or inactivity. Light damage may knock out a full die of shields, and heavy damage has the potential to damage the shield generator which requires repairs in accord with the shield repair rules as written. Below are the damage chart revisions. My changes are in all caps.

Shields blown.
A shields blown result means that the ship loses -1 PIP from its shields total. This loss lasts until the shields RECHARGE AT A RATE OF 1 PIP FOR EVERY HOUR OF NON-COMBAT FLIGHT, OR INACTIVITY. If the ship has no dice remaining in shields (or had no shields to begin with), the ship suffers the controls ionized result.

Controls ionized.
A controls ionized result means that the ship's controls are temporarily overwhelmed by power surges. The ship loses -ID from its maneuverability and weapon fire control for the rest of that round and the next round.
If a ship is suffering from as many controls ionized results as the ship has maneuverability dice, the ship's controls are frozen for the next two rounds. The ship must maintain the same speed and direction for the next two rounds; it may not turn, fire weapons, or take any other actions, making the ship an easy target for enemy gunners.
The pilot must still make the piloting rolls or the ship automatically crashes (if there's anything to run into) or goes spinning out of control.

Lightly damaged.
UNCHANGED

Heavily damaged.
Heavily damaged ships have taken a much more serious amount of damage. If a heavily damaged ship is lightly damaged or heavily damaged again, it becomes severely damaged. Roll ID to see which system is affected.
1. Ship loses -2D from its maneuverability. (If the ship's maneuverability has already been reduced to OD,the ship suffers a -2 Move.)
2. Ship loses a weapons' system in one fire arc. Randomly determine which one. All weapons of that type and in that fire arc are rendered inoperative due to a major power surge or system failure.
Example: A Star Destroyer has 60 turbolaser batteries: 20 to the front, 20 to the left fire arc and 20 to the right fire arc. A lucky shot takes out the front fire arc turbolasers, although the left fire arc turbolasers and the right fire arc turbolasers are still fully operational.
3. Weapons system destroyed. All of the weapons of one type in the same fire arc are destroyed by a series of power overloads. The gunners take damage. (See "passenger damage.")
4. Hyperdrive damaged. Increase all astrogation difficulties by +10 until the drive is fixed with a Moder- ate repair roll and one hour of work.
5. Ship loses -2D from its shields. If the ship has no dice remaining in shields the SHIELD GENERATOR IS DAMAGED AND MUST BE REPAIRED FOLLOWING THE STANDARD SHIELD REPAIR RULES AS WRITTEN. SHIELDS CANNOT REGENERATE UNTIL THEN. IF THE SHIELD GENERATOR IS ALREADY DAMAGED OR THE SHIP HAS NO SHIELDS TO BEGIN WITH IT SUFFERS 2 CONTROLS IONIZED.
6. Ship suffers a -2 Move.

Severely damaged.
UNCHANGED
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. What about hooking the shields up to a charger to help it recharge faster.

Just a thought I might have as a PC.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How this work with back up shields?
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a thought, Naaman. I also considered more advanced shield generators recharging at a quicker rate, maybe 1D per hour instead of 1 pip. I don't think they should recharge quickly enough to be useful in combat however. For that you'd need backup shields like the Mon Calamari use. And, Savar, it seems to me that backup shields should recharge slower than primary shields. Maybe half as fast?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also just change the wording of Shields Blown / Controls Ionized into Shields / Controls Ionized, with the attendant -1D penalty for 1 round now applied to Shields first, followed by Controls once Shields are reduced to 0D. Then just combine #5 on Lightly Damaged with Shields Blown to retain the effect.

EDIT: Or, if Shields Ionized doesn't work for your version of the SWU, call it Shields Weakened or Shields Depleted, or something similar. The key point is just making the -1D penalty from Shields Blown a temporary issue, rather than something requiring repair to use again.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the shield was to the emitters, that is why it required a repair roll and parts.

Over loaded generators would be the higher levels of damage.

Your idea is that the generators fill a bank that powers the shields, that works also. Then the Mon Cal shields just have a bigger bank rather then twice the emitters then generators.

I would say with backup that the recharge rate stats the same, it just with double the dice needing to be restored it takes twice as long.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You could also just change the wording of Shields Blown / Controls Ionized into Shields / Controls Ionized, with the attendant -1D penalty for 1 round now applied to Shields first, followed by Controls once Shields are reduced to 0D. Then just combine #5 on Lightly Damaged with Shields Blown to retain the effect.

EDIT: Or, if Shields Ionized doesn't work for your version of the SWU, call it Shields Weakened or Shields Depleted, or something similar. The key point is just making the -1D penalty from Shields Blown a temporary issue, rather than something requiring repair to use again.

That's essentially what I'm doing, but I'm also defining the recharge time so that it takes a little too long to restore them during the same combat engagement. If they return to full function in the same time that ionized controls do it defeats my purpose.

And to Savar's point, that makes sense. Unless the Mon Cal backups are on a separate slower generator, but either way the primary shields would recharge first, then the backups.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of points...

1) a fast recharge rate is actually consistent with the EU, at least insofar as the X-Wing novels and, IIRC, the Timothy Zahn books.

2) experienced SW D6 gamers are already familiar with the ionization mechanic of losing 1D for 1 round. I understand the basics of what you are trying to do, but your system of tracking losses by the pip per hour of noncombat flight would likely be the first part of this rule that an already busy GM would discard to expedite gameplay.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely by giving the ship enough off-camera "time" to fully recover between fights.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A couple of points...

1) a fast recharge rate is actually consistent with the EU, at least insofar as the X-Wing novels and, IIRC, the Timothy Zahn books.

2) experienced SW D6 gamers are already familiar with the ionization mechanic of losing 1D for 1 round. I understand the basics of what you are trying to do, but your system of tracking losses by the pip per hour of noncombat flight would likely be the first part of this rule that an already busy GM would discard to expedite gameplay.

To your first point I guess I'm not interested in standard shields recharging during combat because it makes special equipment like backup shields a somewhat less impressive addition. If anybody else wants to run with these rules applying faster recharge rates I have no problem with that, it's just not how I like to run space combat. Having to keep pounding through the same shields over and over is more like Wing Commander than Star Wars IMO. Not that there aren't a lot of good details that can be taken from Wing Commander.

On your second point, I had in mind pretty much what Naaman suggested. An hour per pip is just an easy way of saying the shields recharge sometime after combat concludes and the victors/survivors reach safety. One pip per hour could easily be 1D per hour and achieve the same effect. As far as overburdening the GM with crunch, this doesn't seem like much at all to me.

BTW, speaking of Wing Commander, I'm toying with afterburners for star fighter scale craft. Have you guys ever messed with game mechanics for limited speed bursts via something like afterburners?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to have a similar philosophy when it comes to equipment: restrictions exist for the purpose of lending significance to each choice: in my blaster combat thread, this is the major theme, and I see more potential for back up shields being luxurious or even a mark of status among ceftain spacer types.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me wonder. IN GG6 all we see for shield generators is a cost and tonnage it takes for them to be installed. BUT never an availability rating.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, speaking of Wing Commander, I'm toying with afterburners for star fighter scale craft. Have you guys ever messed with game mechanics for limited speed bursts via something like afterburners?

In the xwing game their was a ship called the missile boat that used the SubLight Acceleration Motor or SLAM to accomplish basically what afterburners do. They would drain your lasers the longer you used them.

I know i've seen stats for this system but after looking around I can't find them. Someone else might know. Might be a staring point.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Missile_Boat
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SubLight_Acceleration_Motor
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The SLAM is a good reference.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That makes me wonder. IN GG6 all we see for shield generators is a cost and tonnage it takes for them to be installed. BUT never an availability rating.

Since most starfighter-scale craft only have 1D-2D shields, I figure the availability would be something as follows:
1D/1D+1 = 1, F
1D+2/2D = 2, F or R
3D = 2, 3, R or X (the Millennium Falcon has 3D shields)

Capital-scale would be similar:
1D = 2, F or R
2D/3D = 2, 3, R or X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: