The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stun Damage Revision
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Stun Damage Revision Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Savar wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Savar wrote:
Is there a range difference?

In the movies the Stun rings look vary short ranged. Only the first range category.

That is iirc how D20 SW handled it, you could only stun a target at short range.

Could use that, it would be a lot easier then some complicated formula.

I think I will be going this way. Maybe dropping a D or two for each range category.

Just -2D per range category past the first one. Lol, that will make it pretty worthless past short range.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
Savar wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Savar wrote:

In the movies the Stun rings look vary short ranged. Only the first range category.

That is iirc how D20 SW handled it, you could only stun a target at short range.

Could use that, it would be a lot easier then some complicated formula.

I think I will be going this way. Maybe dropping a D or two for each range category.

Just -2D per range category past the first one. Lol, that will make it pretty worthless past short range.

Explaining why NOBODY but Stormtroopers living in fear of being force-choked by Vader don't bother!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has precedent though. Look at both the magna caster and the wrist vac launcher from galadiniums. Both weapons tier damage based on range.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another precedent. The 2ed Revised GM screen equipment list:
Stun Pistol 1,F 200 3-10/20/40 3D (stun damage)
Riot Gun 2,R 750 3-10/30/60 8D (stun damage)
This would suggest that Stun blasts have a MUCH shorter effective range.
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just raising the bar for unconcioiusness to the same bar as the Lethal track. So if you do under 9 damage, the target is stunned. If it's 9 damage or up, the target is unconcious.

This means that weapons set to stun are less effective in combat overall and should really only be used when you absolutely positively need the target taken alive.
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Savar wrote:

Actually D20 says stun setting is only good for 4 meters, also if the weapon is multi-fire you can only shoot once per round, and no critical hits. (p.133 core rulebook)

There are a few options there. No wild die? Fire rate of 1? That would put the kaibosh on stun abuse.

That would also make the stun pistol much more valuable, otherwise why would a player ever buy one?

-General Veers
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merrick wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Savar wrote:

Actually D20 says stun setting is only good for 4 meters, also if the weapon is multi-fire you can only shoot once per round, and no critical hits. (p.133 core rulebook)

There are a few options there. No wild die? Fire rate of 1? That would put the kaibosh on stun abuse.

That would also make the stun pistol much more valuable, otherwise why would a player ever buy one?

Forget the stun pistol, it'll take a Riot Gun to stop a Wookiee, or anybody in armor!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merrick wrote:

I've done the Fire rate of 1 before for home games. Players hated it! But then they generally hate anything that limits THEM (even if it also limits the enemy and does it more).
Law964
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group has previously used a system where a character could sustain one stun level, plus one level for each full 1D in their Strength attribute, before going unconscious. If they fell unconscious, it was for 15 minutes, -1 minute for each 2D in stamina.

A damage result of stunned resulted in one stun level; wounded resulted in two; incapacitated boxed in all stun levels; mortally wounded boxed in all stun levels and one wounded damage level. This may have come from, in part at least, D6 Space or somewhere.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is approximately how the RAW handles it, no?

Stuns equal to D in Str will result in a knock out?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Law964 wrote:
Our group has previously used a system where a character could sustain one stun level, plus one level for each full 1D in their Strength attribute, before going unconscious. If they fell unconscious, it was for 15 minutes, -1 minute for each 2D in stamina.
Naaman wrote:
I think that is approximately how the RAW handles it, no?

Stuns equal to D in Str will result in a knock out?

REUP wrote:
If a character is being “affected” from a number of
stuns equal to the number before the “D” for the character’s
Strength, the character is knocked unconscious for
2D minutes. A character making an Easy first aid total can
revive an unconscious character.

Yes. Law964 just adds an extra stun than RAW before a character goes unconscious, and calculates the unconscious time differently.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Law964
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going off of 2e and 2e R&E (not sure what 1e did), but we don't necessarily treat a roll above stunned as unconscious. Characters only went unconscious once they had filled in all of their stun boxes, based on the damage as described above. Sorry if that wasn't clear. That would be the big difference, I think.

So a character with Strength 3D+2 could take 4 stun boxes/levels before going unconscious. So a weapon set to "stun" that dealt a wounded result would check off two boxes by our system. That character takes the -1D penalty, but is still up. They would need another wounded or greater result before going down.

By Revised & Expanded, I believe one wounded result puts the character down for 10 minutes or 2D minutes, or something like that. But I might be wrong. We just moved on to a new homebrew system that is kind of a merge of True20 and the D6 skills system. Haven't played true Star Wars D6 in a year or more.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:
How about just raising the bar for unconcioiusness to the same bar as the Lethal track. So if you do under 9 damage, the target is stunned. If it's 9 damage or up, the target is unconcious.

This means that weapons set to stun are less effective in combat overall and should really only be used when you absolutely positively need the target taken alive.

That's my general feeling and this is basically what my revised stun damage chart does. I think it also makes sense for weapons set to stun to incur -1D damage, and shorten effective range by one bracket. Or another option would be to stack -1D damage per range bracket, so the stun bolt loses power as it travels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: