The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modification cost for vehicles, weapons, and armor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Modification cost for vehicles, weapons, and armor.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Modification cost for vehicles, weapons, and armor. Reply with quote

Question: Are the costs indicated in the modification rules cumulative or progressive?

So the rules for modifications are found at p. 60 of the 2d Ed. R&E. The tables for modifications give the effect, difficulty, and cost of modifications. The values in the effect column (let's use space speed increase, for example) are what I will call "progressive" - the new entry displays the entire bonus rather than one added to previous bonuses (i.e. increasing space speed from +1 to +2 results in a speed of +2, not +3). In contrast, the difficulties given under the difficulty column are "cumulative" - each new entry is added to the previous (i.e. increasing space speed from +1 to +2 requires a Difficult roll even though a Moderate roll was already required for the first modification).

So . . . does a character pay the progressive amount in the cost column with each new modification (i.e. increasing space speed from +1 to +2 results in a cost of 15% - 10% already paid = 5%), or does he pay the cumulative amount (i.e. increasing space speed from +1 to +2 results in a cost of 15%)?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. First mod costs you the listed amt (usually 5%). Next mod is 10%, and so on. Just cause you paid 20% at very difficult, does not mean your heroic mod (25%) is only needing 5% more. This is why souping up ships etc DOES get costly as heck over time. 5%+10%+15%+20%+25% equals 75% of the ship, armor or weapon's cost.
Almost as much in some cases as buying an entire new suit/ship used..

My only question with it is are the mods based on the NEW price of the armor/ship/weapon, or the USED price (if you bought it new).>?
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Neither. First mod costs you the listed amt (usually 5%). Next mod is 10%, and so on. Just cause you paid 20% at very difficult, does not mean your heroic mod (25%) is only needing 5% more. This is why souping up ships etc DOES get costly as heck over time. 5%+10%+15%+20%+25% equals 75% of the ship, armor or weapon's cost.

But this IS the cumulative amount I mentioned, so I take this to mean you're endorsing that interpretation. In my example the cost of increasing the space speed from +1 to +2 is 15% (whereas the total cost to increase from +0 to +2 would be 10% + 15% = 25%, as you also indicate).

I'm looking for the "why?" What makes that interpretation more valid than the progressive valuation I mention? If the "Space Increase" column reads "+1, +2, +3, +4," and the "Cost" column reads "10%, 15%, 20%, 25%," why is the total cost 10% + 15% + 20% + 25% = 70%, but the total space increase is only +4 (instead of 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = +10)?

garhkal wrote:
My only question with it is are the mods based on the NEW price of the armor/ship/weapon, or the USED price (if you bought it new).>?

It depends on the condition of the parts you use to upgrade, I would think. If you're using used parts for the mod, you would use the used value of the engine for the calculation even if the actual engine being modded is new. I would liberally apply a "weakest link" mentality, though, as the GM. Modding a new engine with used parts should decrease its reliability, whereas installing new parts in a used engine might increase its reliability.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
garhkal wrote:

But this IS the cumulative amount I mentioned, so I take this to mean you're endorsing that interpretation. In my example the cost of increasing the space speed from +1 to +2 is 15% (whereas the total cost to increase from +0 to +2 would be 10% + 15% = 25%, as you also indicate).

I'm looking for the "why?" What makes that interpretation more valid than the progressive valuation I mention? If the "Space Increase" column reads "+1, +2, +3, +4," and the "Cost" column reads "10%, 15%, 20%, 25%," why is the total cost 10% + 15% + 20% + 25% = 70%, but the total space increase is only +4 (instead of 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = +10)?

IMO its the combined total for cost, as you are going through each and every step, spending that percentage amt for that level. So by the time you are done, the total cost is 75% of the price of the vehicle/weapon etc.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the prices only applied to the base cost, before upgrading.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we are not understanding where both of us are coming from.
Take ship ABC. Base cost (new) is 40,000 credits. its base hull is 3d.
Making an improvement to the hull costs you 10% of cost to take it up one pip (4k in this example). You now have a 3d+1 hull (and maneuvering dropped 1 pip).
To then go to 3d+2, costs 15% or 6k (total expended is 10k). To go to 4d (1d above) is 20% cost, or 8k (18 total spent). To then go the max of 1d+1 above base, would cost 25% or 10k (28k spent)..
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps we are not understanding where both of us are coming from.
Take ship ABC. Base cost (new) is 40,000 credits. its base hull is 3d.
Making an improvement to the hull costs you 10% of cost to take it up one pip (4k in this example). You now have a 3d+1 hull (and maneuvering dropped 1 pip).
To then go to 3d+2, costs 15% or 6k (total expended is 10k). To go to 4d (1d above) is 20% cost, or 8k (18 total spent). To then go the max of 1d+1 above base, would cost 25% or 10k (28k spent)..

Like I said. Only apply the percentages to the base cost of the ship/armor/weapon.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IMO its the combined total for cost, as you are going through each and every step, spending that percentage amt for that level. So by the time you are done, the total cost is 75% of the price of the vehicle/weapon etc.

I agree with you that this is the way I think the rule should work. But I was just curious if anybody saw a RAW reason for concluding that you total up all of the entries in the cost column, when you do not total up all of the entries in the increase columns?

But seeing as I've created a thread thoroughly uninteresting to the vast majority of the community, I will just be happy knowing that at least two others think that cumulative cost should be applied, even if there is no clear RAW reason for doing so. Very Happy
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have anything to add to the conversation, nuclearwookiee, but it looks like this is pretty clearly another example of poor editing on WEG's part. It would have been a lot clearer if both columns progressed the same way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: