The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Breaking Up Melee Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Breaking Up Melee Combat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Breaking Up Melee Combat Reply with quote

Seeing as how Melee Combat covers such a broad range of weapons, some of which require much different techniques, I have long considered breaking up Melee Combat into multiple skills, each covering a broad catagory of Melee Weapons that use similar techniques. I haven't really organized it in great detail yet, but the basic catagories are...
    Stabbing Weapons (Knives and Short Swords)
    Slashing Weapons (Swords, axes, as well as most blunt weapons, which are usually swung in an arc).
    Whip / Chain (Covers any flexible weapon)
I'm also considering differentiating between close range and reach weapons (spears and pole arms), as well as a separate catagory for shields.

After all, if we have differing catagories for Blasters and Firearms based solely on what they are firing, why not differing skills here when the techniques are so different?

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though this may work well for your game, I'm not sure that it's something that I would incorporate in mine. It seems as though it needlessly complicates the mechanics of the weapons. If you want to break this down to how things function in real life, then there could be dozens of melee skills just for swords. Though there are noticeable points of overlap, the practice for even a katana is remarkably different from a rapier. Though they are both visually very similar, the art of using even a broad sword is in many ways different from a longsword.

I'm not sure I see what advantage it would gain my players to break up the melee skills, particularly when melee weapons aren't a primary focus in the game. Triplicating the skill for the types of weapons seems that the next logical step is triplicating the melee parry skill as well. I can tell you from personal experience that deflecting a longsword is a completely different ballgame from deflecting a rapier. Even using your delineating criteria of stabbing and long arcs, parrying one is not the same as parrying the other. Granted there is the precedent of distinguishing firearms and blasters, though it's one of the reasons I seldom mix the two in a game anyway. I don't see the mechanical benefit of splitting them.

Perhaps I'm not seeing what mechanical or "realism' factor this is contributing to the game. Would you mind elaborating why this mechanic would be advantageous?
ZepDek
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one usually do the opposite and lump skills together rather than making separate skills for each type of weapon (Barring really weird or strange ones), but as a question where would a 'weapon' such a chainsaw fit in? And I assume you'd add more such as staves and other kinds of types? I can't see using it myself as it may over complicate things a bit to much but if you use it, let us know how it goes.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blaster / Firearms distinction was a major factor, in that if two skills so closely related had to have separate skills, why wasn't the same true for Melee Weapons when it covers such a broad range of skills.

An alternate possibility that I have considered is leaving Melee Weapons unchanged and adding an Exotic Weapons designation, in that some weapons are sufficiently outside the scope of the "normal" Melee Weapon skill set that a character must specialize in them to be able to use them...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Up Melee Combat Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Seeing as how Melee Combat covers such a broad range of weapons, some of which require much different techniques, I have long considered breaking up Melee Combat into multiple skills, each covering a broad catagory of Melee Weapons that use similar techniques. I haven't really organized it in great detail yet, but the basic catagories are...
    Stabbing Weapons (Knives and Short Swords)
    Slashing Weapons (Swords, axes, as well as most blunt weapons, which are usually swung in an arc).
    Whip / Chain (Covers any flexible weapon)
I'm also considering differentiating between close range and reach weapons (spears and pole arms), as well as a separate catagory for shields.

After all, if we have differing catagories for Blasters and Firearms based solely on what they are firing, why not differing skills here when the techniques are so different?

Thoughts?

While i agree in principle, since most around here are seeming to be more apt to combine skills, isn't this going in the opposite direction?
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to do this you have to dump "parry" as a skill. No one trains in a weapon or martial art ONLY on offense or ONLY on defense.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
If you were to do this you have to dump "parry" as a skill. No one trains in a weapon or martial art ONLY on offense or ONLY on defense.

I did that so long ago that I barely even think about it any more.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking Up Melee Combat Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While i agree in principle, since most around here are seeming to be more apt to combine skills, isn't this going in the opposite direction?

Yeah, but sometimes you can't see the flaws in a concept unless others point them out to you...

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a break-down of melee skills I toyed with some time ago:

Skill - Example Weapons Covered
Melee: Bash - Axe, Bat, Mace, Hammer, Club, Tonfa, Chair, Bottle, Pan, Spade
Melee: Defensive - Shield, Sai/Jitte, Parrying Dagger, Cloak
Melee: Flexible - Whip, Lash, Chain, Morningstar, Nunchaku
Melee: Lightsaber - Long, Short, Double-Ended, Whip
Melee: Pole - Halberd, Staff, Sledge, Naginata, Brand, Pike, Spear, Trident, Bayonet, Shovel
Melee: Slash/Stab - Knife, Sword, Rapier, Saber, Claw, Broken Bottle

That's as far as I would consider taking it, which is still plenty detailed. But for now I decided to stay with the single Melee skill. Except for Lightsabers, melee is simply not important enough in my game to bother with this level of detail.

I did break-down melee for my Secret of Zir'An D6 game - because of the setting specifics, melee combat is about equal to shooting there - but even there I went with a single "Standard" skill covering both the "Bash" and "Slash/Stab" of the above cathegories in adition to the "Defensive", "Flexible" and "Pole" ones.

Aside: If I went for house-ruling the weapon skills, I would also consider changing the ranged weapon break-down, doing away with the energy / ballistic divide, and instead went with a pistol / rifle division.
- Tom Lehrer
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using one Melee Combat skill (covering both attack and defense), but
I added "proficiency" requirement to some exotic weapons. Lack of proficiency causes a penalty to weapon use (-1D, -2D or -3D, depending on weapon). A character may learn how to use a weapon and gain a proficiency, which costs 5CP per each -1D. So, using something without appropriate proficiency effects in lower dice pools (and worse critical failures).
For sake of simplicity I don't allow buying-off penalty in parts (-1D at a time), full proficiency has to be bought (e.g. -3D costs 15CP). Of course, training and/or teacher is usually required.

Actually, I'm using this mechanics for many other things: swoop is a -2D proficiency of vehicle operation skill, double-bladed lightsaber is a -2D proficiency of lightsaber skill, disguise is -1D proficiency of Con etc.

This works well for me, adds some (cinematic) realism without adding new skills and without too much trouble in mechanics. Actually, it greatly reduces number of skills (e.g. tensor rifle is a proficiency of blaster, not a separate skill as in RAW).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go for a 3 tier break for melee (if one does away with the parry and mashes it into the attack skill, to make a general melee for each group).

Slashing
Piercing and
Exotic.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The Blaster / Firearms distinction was a major factor, in that if two skills so closely related had to have separate skills, why wasn't the same true for Melee Weapons when it covers such a broad range of skills.
Because firearms are generally rare-enough in Star Wars that splitting the skills up doesn't make combat skills prohibitively expensive from a CP standpoint.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Because firearms are generally rare-enough in Star Wars that splitting the skills up doesn't make combat skills prohibitively expensive from a CP standpoint.

But that doesn't change the fact that you are basically using identical skill sets with the only difference being what method the weapon uses to deliver damage. Firearms have to account for recoil, ballistics and atmospheric conditions, but that would make the same skill more difficult, not a completely different skill.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Firearms have to account for recoil, ballistics and atmospheric conditions, but that would make the same skill more difficult, not a completely different skill.

Especially since I believe going by the OT energy weapons do also have recoil, and ballistics and atmospheric conditions wouldn't matter much at the ranges typical firefights take place.
- Tom Lehrer
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too quick to use the firearms/blaster separation as a precedent without having an solid understanding of why the designers chose to separate them. Yes, you can split them into two skills. But I'm not entirely convinced that it was the right decision. But, as I said, firearms are used seldom enough that it doesn't have much of an impact on game mechanics. Following a decision that we don't understand with a decision that has (as of yet) little measurable benefit doesn't seem to make sense to me.

The melee weapons, though not the primary means of combat, are frequent enough that it creates more of a CP burden on the characters, doesn't serve a tactical function, and doesn't necessarily bring a balance to a broken part of combat.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what missing element of the game mechanics, balance, or fun does this house rule fix?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: