The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starships and MAPs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starships and MAPs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Starships and MAPs Reply with quote

I know there's at least half a dozen threads on this topic, but none of them quite covered what I was looking for. For starship combat I like to make sure everyone is involved, not just the pilot. So someone on a gun (the player's current ship has a single turret), someone doing shields and making the damage resist rolls, someone doing communications and sensors, and of course someone maneuvering and piloting the ship.

So my question is, is the ship one single entity and everyone's rolls suffer because of MAPs, or do the characters only suffer MAPs if they are doing multiple actions themselves?

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, NPC ships are treated as single entities for the sake of simplicity. Players performing roles on a ship only suffer MAPs through their own actions, such as if a captain tried to pilot and command in the same round. Naturally, mishaps from failed rolls may also affect the crew too.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DarthOmega
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! That's what I was hoping as I hate leaving players out during any scene. Thanks.

Read my gaming blog at www.alteredrealities.net - click on the tabs near the top for the different pages that usually have character bios and other info.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob. Of course, other factors come into play, such as if the pilot makes a sudden maneuver, it has the potential to throw off the aim of the gunner if his weapons turret isn't stabilized against ship maneuvers. There was a thread here about that recently... here.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, each character only suffers MAPs from thier own actions. Although, as previously mentioned, what the pilot does might affect other character's actions, as the GM sees fit.

Oh, and I'm not sure single entity MAPs does apply to NPC ships. Most bad guy fighters (TIEs) are single person ships, so the MAPs would stack. But something like an ISD has thousands of crew, so I'd always ignored MAPs, since they obviously had different crewmen steering the ship, working the weapons, shields, sensors and so forth.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, for a single pilot ship with fixed forward weaponry like the TIE, it could be argued that piloting and aiming the weaponry are essentially the same thing, with gunnery pretty much just handling the timing of actually pressing the firing button. How that would translate into dice bonuses and MAPs is anyone's guess. I know we've talked about it here before...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Starships and MAPs Reply with quote

DarthOmega wrote:
I know there's at least half a dozen threads on this topic, but none of them quite covered what I was looking for. For starship combat I like to make sure everyone is involved, not just the pilot. So someone on a gun (the player's current ship has a single turret), someone doing shields and making the damage resist rolls, someone doing communications and sensors, and of course someone maneuvering and piloting the ship.

So my question is, is the ship one single entity and everyone's rolls suffer because of MAPs, or do the characters only suffer MAPs if they are doing multiple actions themselves?

Just themselves. So if the pilot is just maneuvering (full dodge) he is not going to be going anywhere, but his shields operator, sensor guy and any turret buffs don't have any MAP's to worry about (well unless the gunners are taking more than one shot!)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Of course, for a single pilot ship with fixed forward weaponry like the TIE, it could be argued that piloting and aiming the weaponry are essentially the same thing, with gunnery pretty much just handling the timing of actually pressing the firing button. How that would translate into dice bonuses and MAPs is anyone's guess. I know we've talked about it here before...

You know, trhat's not a bad idea. If I were going to run it that way, I'd probably do what they did with the old dodge rules and allow it to be combined free with movment - provided the TIE pilot actually pointed his ship towards a target.

I think I'm going to have to swipe that for my starfighter houserules.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
If I were going to run it that way, I'd probably do what they did with the old dodge rules and allow it to be combined free with movment - provided the TIE pilot actually pointed his ship towards a target.

I think I'm going to have to swipe that for my starfighter houserules.

So, just to clarify, a pilot who is both piloting and shooting fixed forward weaponry in the same round does not suffer a MAP / takes the piloting roll as a free action?

Taking it a step further, would a really good piloting roll provide a bonus to Gunnery?

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

So, just to clarify, a pilot who is both piloting and shooting fixed forward
weaponry in the same round does not suffer a MAP / takes the piloting roll as a free action?

That is the idea. With some restrictions. Basically., like the old free move with dodge, if the pilot had to do difficult maneuvering he wouldn't be able to fly as a free action. For instance, Vader tailing rebels ships in the Death Star Trench could be free (as would Luke's attack run on the Death Star, thus fixing the Concentration rules glitch), but not chasing the Millennium Falcon through an asteroid field.

Quote:

Taking it a step further, would a really good piloting roll provide a bonus to Gunnery?

Hmm, it might. Although I suspect not much. Considering the size of the target and the speeds and distances involved, a pilot could only get so much benefit from "eyeballing" it. At 2000m I doubt a pilot could aim his ship that well. Still, I suppose I'd allow the pilot to spend a round to get the aiming bonus.

What I could see this rule doing is enhancing the rules I already have for tailing. That would seem to be the most common use for it. That and head on runs. I suspect that in most cases though, the target would perform erratic maneuvers to try and make thew shot more difficult, and probably force the pilot into giving up the free action in order to keep the target in his sites.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it.. While i could see a free half move while shooting with no maps, at teh speeds in the trench that they were flying, they would have had to be doing at least a difficult piloting check for the terrain, which imo is beyond the scope for a 'free move'.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal has a good point, but I'm on the fence. While flying down the trench would be technically difficult, it is more a matter of precision and small movements. Which is pretty much what would be required to line up the proton torpedo shot. Maybe increase the base difficulty of the piloting roll by one level, but allow the roll as a free action?

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really doesn't matter how fast you are flying if the walls are straight. It's when the guy towers open or the TIEs come in on your "six" where it gets difficult.

But the actual flight down the trench could be handled with cruise control, if an X-Wing has that.

IMO the way it should be is that going faster doesn't make straight and level fight that much tougher, it just makes it less forgiving when you mess up. Instead of scratching the paint you tear off an S-foil and spiral into a wall.

And I think the MAP avoided shouldn't be enough to t offset the increased difficulty due to speed. In my house rules going a high speed up the difficulties by 1 step (+5), so it's not much of a benefit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since by the RAW going at cautious speed (half) is a 'free movement action' according to page 123 and 124, in terrain of Very easy through moderate, and is one cat less in difficult or higher terrain.
Cruise speed (normal move) its an action (for MAP purposes) but no roll is required for the same V/easy through moderate terrain, a roll IS required at regular diff for Difficult or higher terrain.
High speed (double) its a roll for all terrain (and therefore a map too) but difficult or higher terrain shifts up one category (heroic adds 10). And at all out (quad speed), V/easy through moderate terrain the diff is increased one cat upward while difficult and higher gets a +2 cat shift (or +20 for heroic).

Since luke WAS shooting, they were not going all out, but they went in at a high rate of speed, so the trench run was at least done at cruise through high speed. All we now need to figure out was whether the trench run was an Very easy, easy, moderate, difficult, very difficult or heroic terrain level for that piloting roll, as unfortunately even the Death star tech companion book does not mention what the diff level was for running it..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Since luke WAS shooting, they were not going all out, but they went in at a high rate of speed, so the trench run was at least done at cruise through high speed. All we now need to figure out was whether the trench run was an Very easy, easy, moderate, difficult, very difficult or heroic terrain level for that piloting roll, as unfortunately even the Death star tech companion book does not mention what the diff level was for running it..

Excepot Luke specifically states that they are going all full throttle! Besides it;s not his fault if the RAW changed years after the film came out. But, basically 2R&E is wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: