The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Concepts of the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Concepts of the Force Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Concepts of the Force Reply with quote

Here's a question I'd like to throw at the group: Where do you stand on the disciplines/concepts of the Force?

Since the EU has expanded so much over the years since WEG disappeared, we've been bombarded with a lot of new information concerning the Force. It used to be either Dark side or Light side when in came to the Force. Now we have the Living Force, the Unifying Force, the Dark side, and a few others that were developed by alien Force-users.

Has anyone incorporated these and how are you handling Dark Side Points and other acts if you have?

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treat the Force as Yoda describes it. It is "the Force." Regardless of what we call it, it functions the same way. Using the Force in anger/fear/selfishly, etc results in a dark side point.

Having a different belief about somethinf does not change the way it works. I might believe I can walk on air, but that does not mean I can. I might believe that murder/rape/robbery is okay or "justified," but that does not mean I can do so everyday without being evil.

I might believe that Force lightning is a "tool" that can be used for good, despite beimg a corruption of the Force that is a manifestation of rage, but that does not mean I shouldnt get a darkside point for using it.

There are others on here who feel differently than I do, and Imsure they will chime in.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a very simple Force philosophy I posted for a character I was making.

Shem-du-Vale Philosophy: the devotee may attempt to use what are traditionally viewed as dark side Force skills in a neutral manner (without the use of hatred, anger or fear). Make a Willpower or Knowledge skill check vs Moderate difficulty (+1D per point of Corruption. If the roll fails the devotee was unable to resist the corruption of the Dark Side (using hatred, anger or fear) and gains one point of Corruption. If the roll succeeds the devotee has successfully channeled the skill for his purpose without the use of dark side elements and does not gain a point of Corruption.

You can substitute Dark Side Point for Corruption, which is a homebrew mechanic I use for my game.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Naaman.

There is the Force, and then there is corruption of the Force.

If you want to use powers that are effectively similar to Dark Side powers, then you'll need to manifest the powers in a different way. Dark Side powers require the user to be full of hatred or fear or anger, and they cannot manifest without those feelings. So for a light side character to effectively shoot lightning from his fingers, he cannot use Force Lightning. Period. Or he will get a Dark Side point.

He can, however, influence electrical currents around him and concentrate them all into one pathway that shoots towards an enemy. This would require a boat-load of concentration, and even a fair amount of risk because the Force is being used to injure someone.

"The Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never attack."
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this discussion far too often and it literally boggles my mind. I do not espouse the idea that people should normally be able to create characters that can go around and use dark side powers as they are written.

I have championed the idea that skills can be accessed and used in more than a single way. That the predominant way that a Force skill is accessed may not be the only way.

Case in point Force Lighting. The traditional way that Force Lightning is used is considered a dark side power, not because it requires anger to access nor that it is meant to cause damage, but how the person is manipulating the Force.

If the way the Force is manipulated is done in a different way, though it mechanically is the same, is not. Perhaps the character is using the force to excite the electrostatic charge in the air and further uses the Force to direct its flow. That certainly would not require anger or hate or fear to do.

Further more, perhaps energy flow can be manipulated using the Force to change the amplitude of the lighting to cause stun instead of actual damage.

In my mind there are tons of way that can logically explain using the Force to access skills traditionally felt to be dark side.

I also feel that a lot of the stuff we readily accept as explanations about the nature and use of the Force as deeply influenced by Jedi dogma. This would mean that all we understand and know is through the filter of Jedi philosophy.

This can be looked at from a real world example: Protestant religion. There are multiple ways to get to heaven as described by each denomination. The end result, you get into heaven, yippee. The same with the Force.

Hopefully I did not sound angry while explaining this view. I just, think that people need to be open to different ideas instead of immediately decrying cannon or stating there is one and only one way to do something.

Love to hear what others have to say =)
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like how Vergre tried to corrupt Jacen. Its not the dark side of the force that gives you dark side points, its the essence in the soul of the user of the force that gets it.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: This is all just my opinion, it doesn't mean that it's a universal truth. (Just writing that so that I don't have to write "In my opinion" all the time ^^)

Well, for me there is no "dark side" or "light side" of the Force. It's simply "The Force" and nothing else.
The "Dark Side" and "Light Side" are completely psychological phenomenons. If I use a Power that is linked to my psyche in a negative manner (i.e. killing someone), it will affect my psyche in a negative manner, which might results in "becoming evil".
But for me Force Powers are not per se Dark or Light. It depends on how u use them, how you see the universe and how much you can resist the psychic implications of using such a power.

The thing is, that there is no such thing as the "universal good" or the "universal evil". It's all subjektiv and thus based on the viewpoint of the person who tries to find out if something is "evil" or "good".
An action that looks evil to us might be good from a certain point of view and vice versa.

So, in the end, it's really hard to say when you should get a DSP and when not and how the own viewpoint of the person comes into play.

Personally, I don't really like the DSP-System as it is used in the rules because it's so binary... you're either good or you're evil and you can either resist being evil or not.
That doesn't really make any sense for me as using "Dark Side" Force Powers for something "good" should not grant a DSP...
Personally, I like the DnD Alignment-System better and that could probably be used as a basis for a better DSP-System... would have to think about that a little more ^^
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that the FP/DSP nature of the RPG represents a false dichotomy: only two possible answers to what amounts to a complicated question, it's circular and reinforces the argument that only two answers exist and yours is the right one. This is what political manoeuvring looks like.

The raw story-telling itself allows a degree of complication, when Luke is tempted (several times) by the Dark Side...and as is outlined the term itself does really refer to the darker side of our own (fallible) human natures. We are an animal species at our very roots and core and when it all comes down to it, any human can simply elect to rape/murder/thieve any time he feels like it, on a whim. It's that present in all of us.

The Force itself is what the name suggests and just a Force. There are certain rules asserted within the general SWU-plotline that sentients must observe when using the Force so as not to become corrupted by the very nature of power. As Lord Howe infamously said in Parliament, "If power corrupts, then absolute power corrupts absolutely." (it was a big argument for modern democratic parliamentarianism).

The Jedi use proxies for the Force in any direct combat, otherwise they're very peaceful and passive when using the Force itself, using it for visions and personal development/enhancement rather than hurling lightning around like a wizard.
In combat the Jedi enhance their abilities with a lightsabre using the Force, whereas the Sith will use the Force directly for the combat. One could argue that the Jedi are not prone to falling prey to their own natures wielding pure power because they use the lightsabre to fight rather than using the Force directly to affect others in a deadly way. Because the Sith forego this caution, they fall prey to megalomania, guilt/paranoia, all these fallible sentient humanisms of personal experiences. You cannot help but be affected by what you do or you'd be a robot, sometimes your own conscience really is your own worst enemy even if you're a mass murderer, it's like the mechanical process of the biological brain that works against you.

So here is wherein it all lay, I believe. Just because an alien Force-tradition doesn't recognize DSP for what they are, doesn't mean they don't get one every time they use a telekinetic kill and call it karma instead of cold blooded murder.

I'll tell you a GM device I use in campaigns: when a PC-FU has, to my mind begun pressing his luck in how he uses the Force, to the extent of arguing for the use of nominally Dark Side powers as "neutrally used" and thus not soliciting DSP, I let him and simply create a tally of DSP he gains whilst telling him they're FP awards. He doesn't know they're DSP, I keep my own record of them and simply let him use them like FP.
I let them gain several DSP and begin exerting their role of taking over PC actions at critical moments in gameplay...at which point they become aware they've been gaining DSP and not FP at all.

That's basically how I see the Force working. Point of view doesn't matter with DSP.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:

The thing is, that there is no such thing as the "universal good" or the "universal evil". It's all subjektiv and thus based on the viewpoint of the person who tries to find out if something is "evil" or "good".
An action that looks evil to us might be good from a certain point of view and vice versa.

As a philosophy major, this makes me cringe...
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the certain point of view ideology... if that truly is the case, why do so many Sith have so many DSPs? If they see nothing wrong with the way they do things, they shouldn't have nearly so many DSPs, right?

On that alone, the certain point of view stuff doesn't wash.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

I have championed the idea that skills can be accessed and used in more than a single way. That the predominant way that a Force skill is accessed may not be the only way.

Case in point Force Lighting. The traditional way that Force Lightning is used is considered a dark side power, not because it requires anger to access nor that it is meant to cause damage, but how the person is manipulating the Force.

If the way the Force is manipulated is done in a different way, though it mechanically is the same, is not. Perhaps the character is using the force to excite the electrostatic charge in the air and further uses the Force to direct its flow. That certainly would not require anger or hate or fear to do.

I agree with this. However, if the Lightning is being manipulated a different way and not being fused with hatred, then it is a different power.

shootingwomprats wrote:

I also feel that a lot of the stuff we readily accept as explanations about the nature and use of the Force as deeply influenced by Jedi dogma. This would mean that all we understand and know is through the filter of Jedi philosophy.

The Jedi are also the most prominent, populous, and enduring Force philosophy in the galaxy. They have a pretty good track record for doing good things for the galaxy for thousands of years, with a tiny minority of their members becoming corrupt (and they only do so by not following Jedi teachings). I'd say the Jedi are doing something right, and the evidence points to more than just them having a subjective philosophy.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Quetzacotl wrote:

Huh. So philosophy majors are actually Sith. Who knew? Razz
- Tom Lehrer
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say dose any one else give out "Light Side Points" to those who unbalance the natral order too far towards the Light Side?

in eras when the Force is in Balance I give out both DSP and LSP, but during the Rebellion era the story of the Light Side is pushing back the dark so I don't give out LSP, but I do during the TotJ anl later New Republic eras.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyD

As you can see, your question can quickly become a debate equal to ‘politics, religion, and her'. As such, there is no right answer. Just general stances from one's point of view. (fortunately, we around here can have vastly different points of view -on multiple subjects - and debate them/discus them and all remain friends! Smile

That said, you as a GM will have to figure out just which view you fir in and how it applies to your galaxy and how your players (especially force users) will be able to operate in that view.

Now for my personal view, I'll start by preferencing it with a "I may have a unique view on it just as my view on real world, so my view of the force may be also unique" statement.

I agree with Dromdarr on his

Quote:

There is good & evil, and there are some things that, regardless of the view point they are supported by, are good or evil no matter what - killing any one (either 1 person or a million, the number is irrevelent) simply for convenience is evil. It doesn't matter the 'reason' behind it (an old widow that can no longer work and therefore is a drain on society, or a young one who may be a drain on his/her parent etc is EVIL, the risking of one’s self to save another, giving of one’s time/money/effort etc is GOOD) the action is inherently one side or another. A ‘sophist’ can justify anything, but it doesn’t make the thing justifiable.

However, there are times where the lines can be blurred (to a point) this is especially true in combat. Killing a 'innocent' is not good, but dropping a 500lb bomb in a compound with 20+ fighters, a bomb maker with enough stuff to make multiple car bombs, and a storage of arms big enough to arm 100+ bad guys, while there is at least 2 families including wives and children ... Is that killing of 'innocents' (the kids too young to decide for themselves to be in the compound and support the terrorists) worth the lives of 45 good guys (including 12 guys that have saved your life and you them for the last 5 months) ??? It is something the person(s) involved have to search themselves to find the answer, so therefore it will mean that you and your players have to also search themselves to find the answer for in your game.

For instance, it is evil to build up your anger/hatred to a point where dark force lightning shoots out your fingers and fries someone, but is it evil to use the force to focus the control the electricity around you to shock the bad guy, use TK to put the bad guy in a choke hold, or use TK to pull the pin on the thermal detonator on the bad guy bounty hunter as he stalks around to ambush your party Question I know my answer to it, but it is your game/world so you'll have to answer that for yourself.

One other thing to look at is the corruption of power and therefore that corruption by abusing the force, even if the force being used isn't 'evil'. A Jedi with political leanings who uses his force skills to bend the political process so that his ideas win (even if those ideas start out as good) will drift toward the dark ... Power does corrupt, and by bending the rules to get the power (even for good use a first) will allow you to justify even more bending (and breaking) of the rules to keep that power - of course just so you can keep doing more and more and greater and greater 'good' . besides why give the commoners power back, they won't use it correctly nor make the good decisions soooooo Wink

With that, you will again have to look at the 'role-playing' behind the players' actions to see if they are drifting down that path toward the dark even if they have never struck out with dark force lightning ...

Now for the Jedi and other outlooks:

Quote:

shootingwomprats wrote:

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

The Jedi are also the most prominent, populous, and enduring Force philosophy in the galaxy. They have a pretty good track record for doing good things for the galaxy for thousands of years, with a tiny minority of their members becoming corrupt (and they only do so by not following Jedi teachings). I'd say the Jedi are doing something right, and the evidence points to more than just them having a subjective philosophy.

I take a middle of the road on this one. Yes, the Jedi tended to get the better/more correct answer on philosophy for this, but they were not perfect and could have misinterpreted some of the outlooks. (love leading to jealousy, so no wives/husbands if you are a Jedi, familial attachment is bad so no contact between a youngling force user and his/her family are 2 off the top of my head). With that, a player needs to tread lightly before they break some of the Jedi council's rules of conduct, but there are times that breaking those rules do not lead to the dark side. But again, you have to judge what will be allowable in your game.

Now for mechanics, SWR does have a good rework of DSPs into corruption that I like, but I haven’t seen it used in a game, so I can’t say if it ‘works’. But, I also like Vanir’s :
Quote:

I'll tell you a GM device I use in campaigns: when a PC-FU has, to my mind begun pressing his luck in how he uses the Force, to the extent of arguing for the use of nominally Dark Side powers as "neutrally used" and thus not soliciting DSP, I let him and simply create a tally of DSP he gains whilst telling him they're FP awards. He doesn't know they're DSP, I keep my own record of them and simply let him use them like FP.
I let them gain several DSP and begin exerting their role of taking over PC actions at critical moments in gameplay...at which point they become aware they've been gaining DSP and not FP at all.

That's basically how I see the Force working. Point of view doesn't matter with DSP.

Once you have set up your left and right limits on what is ‘good’ use of the force and the player wants to skate right on the edge … actions and decisions have consequences … Habitually push your luck and you will drift toward the dark (again a sophist can justify anything, but that doesn’t make it right).

Forgive all spelling errors.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
Quetzacotl wrote:

Huh. So philosophy majors are actually Sith. Who knew? Razz

It simply ruins any chance to have a productive discussion if you believe everything is subjective. I can say: "All babies must be brutally killed when they are born." Someone who believes in subjective morality would then say: "well that's what you believe, and it is good from your point of view, so it is just as legitimate as my belief that babies must be loved and cherished."

We want to be discussing the object of how to treat babies, not the people who hold opinions about babies.

A better and more productive way to go about philosophical discussion is to acknowledge that there are two opposing and mutually exclusive opinions. When there are two opposing and mutually exclusive opinions, at least one of them is wrong. They may both be wrong. But they cannot both be right.

With this understanding, the philosophers can then debate and actually find truth. It is not about winning an argument; it is about learning truths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: