The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dont bring a vibroblade to a lightsaber duel...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dont bring a vibroblade to a lightsaber duel... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire I tend to agree with you on this without the force it is impossible. I have however played airsoft and depending on the gun you use you can follow the pellet with your eyes and even dodge them with some degree of sucesses. Granted that is much different than being able to cut one with a sword but likely that was very set up and he knew where the bullet was going to be. Or it was just a plan fake video there are a great many of them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And depending on the airsoft gun you can have some upwards of 400fps..
all2ezy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Take that Jedi Down with Stun!!! Reply with quote

Why not just set your blasters to stun and take that Jedi down! to my knowledge, a Jedi cannot deflect (parry using a Lightsaber) a shot from a blaster which is set to stun. Im sure he could try to resist the damage or absorb it aka the force power.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Take that Jedi Down with Stun!!! Reply with quote

all2ezy wrote:
Why not just set your blasters to stun and take that Jedi down! to my knowledge, a Jedi cannot deflect (parry using a Lightsaber) a shot from a blaster which is set to stun.

Where'd you get that rule from? I don't recall anything like that in any of the rulebooks. If it did work that way every enemy force would have thier weapons set on stun. It certainely would have made a difference during the Clone Wars.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know Spoony? He made a Video about it. Some people (I don't know where and who) say that, looking at the movies (especially the OT), the Stun Setting, instead of shooting a concentrated blaster bolt, shoots some kind of rings or the like, that are responsible for stunning the opponent. The argument can be made, that thise rings can not be effectively reflect.
It would make sense, but well, there are no rules for that. If you follow RAW, then a Lightsaber still can deflect them.

On the other hand, looking at the Sonic Weapons in "Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide", those really can't be deflected by Lightsabers.

btw. can it be that the "Stun" setting is a little overpowered and imbalanced in the SW P&P game? If I wound an opponent normally, he still could fight back. With the Blaster set on Stun, hitting him with a "wounded" result, the enemy will be unconcious for several minutes, which will normaly mean, that the enemy won't be able to fight for the Rest of the encounter...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:

btw. can it be that the "Stun" setting is a little overpowered and imbalanced in the SW P&P game? If I wound an opponent normally, he still could fight back. With the Blaster set on Stun, hitting him with a "wounded" result, the enemy will be unconcious for several minutes, which will normaly mean, that the enemy won't be able to fight for the Rest of the encounter...

Yes, it is. By the RAW it's easier to take out an opponent with stun than will normal damage, and no in game reason not to do so. Way back, weapons on stun used to loose 1D damage.

In D20 they limited stun damage to shrot range, and I'm starting to think that is a good idea. I can see the lower powered stun dispersing over distance.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we houseruled the stun damage. With each category, you only add one more stun. So if you get a wounded result, you just make 2 stuns, with an incapacitated result, it's 3 stuns and so on.
People with low Strength (lower then 3D) will still be knocked out at wounded, but those with a lot STR will "survive" longer like this, thus, balancing the Stun damage a little...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Quetzacotl wrote:

Yes, it is. By the RAW it's easier to take out an opponent with stun than will normal damage, and no in game reason not to do so. Way back, weapons on stun used to loose 1D damage.

In D20 they limited stun damage to shrot range, and I'm starting to think that is a good idea. I can see the lower powered stun dispersing over distance.

I have seen some HR it where stun only works up close (short range)..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
Well, we houseruled the stun damage. With each category, you only add one more stun. So if you get a wounded result, you just make 2 stuns, with an incapacitated result, it's 3 stuns and so on.
People with low Strength (lower then 3D) will still be knocked out at wounded, but those with a lot STR will "survive" longer like this, thus, balancing the Stun damage a little...

Can you explain this a bit more? I'm not getting it.

I'd never thought of the stun effect before as being like what we see early in ANH (used on Princess Leia), but that would make sense (that it would be impossible to deflect).
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, normally, you compare the damage of the weapon with the damage resistance roll. You can get either Stun, Wounded, Incapacitated, Mortally Wounded or killed with one shot.

If you set the weapon to stun, by RAW, you would make the opponent unconcious if you get a result of wounded or higher, which would make a weapon set on stun far more effective then with the normal modus, because getting someone to Wounded doesn't guarantee that he won't just fight back in the next round.

By RAW, if you get several stun results, those add up. You can take as much Stuns, as you have D in Str. So a Person with 2D in STR can get a Stun result on damage resistance, and he would only get a malus of 1D for this round (and maybe the next? now sure anymore). Hit by another blast, resulting in stun again, he would now have received 2 stuns, and with 2D, thats as much as he can take, so he would now be unconcious.

Now, as a HR, we combined those two rules. When, on a weapon with stun, you get a damage result of Wounded or higher, instead of making him unconcious (which would be RAW), he just gets 2 stuns. If he has only 2D or less in STR, he would be unconcious as well. But if he has 3D or more in STR, he just would have 2 stuns now, resulting in a malus of 2D for this (and maybe the next) round, but you could still stand without a Problem.
So, Wounded with a Stun weapon translates to 2 Stuns, incapacitated is 3 Stuns, mortally wounded is 4 Stuns and killed is 5 stuns.
In the end, only someone with STR of 6D or more could withstand a hit with a stun weapon that has a result of "killed", which should be very very few people.

And, as far as I know, that effect in ANH is supposed to be the stun setting on the blasters. They even say that they should set the blasters on stun.
You can see the same effect in the Clone Wars Animated series in Season 5 Episode 18, where they shoot like that again (well, mostly. You only see 1 ring there instead of several). But in the Episode, a Lighstaber CAN block those kind of attacks (but you couldn't send it back as the "projectile" simply vanishes on contact with the lightsaber).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Quetzacotl! That makes a lot more sense.

I'm going to really have to think on this one (and run it by my players), as I think I'm inclined to use one of the two options discussed here.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Thanks so much, Quetzacotl! That makes a lot more sense.

I'm going to really have to think on this one (and run it by my players), as I think I'm inclined to use one of the two options discussed here.

I've used something similar. One suggestion : extend the number of Stun results beyond Killed/4 Stuns. Something like 1 Stun per 4 over the STR roll or some such. Otherwise it becomes impossible to Stun anything with a STR of 5D or greater with one hit.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

When I think stun, I think a tazer like effect. With that I picture it being able to take down someone no matter how big they are (I've been through schools where we all had to be tazed pepper sprayed etc & it knocked down my OIC who was a massive rugby player as quickly as it did me - a 5'10 soccer player type)

However, for balance and from real world experience, I'd limit it to only short range. That or lessen the time the character is stunned.

Forgive all spelling errors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Quetzacotl wrote:

Can you explain this a bit more? I'm not getting it.

I'd never thought of the stun effect before as being like what we see early in ANH (used on Princess Leia), but that would make sense (that it would be impossible to deflect).

Well, iirc stun shot in one of the novels was also described as not being able to deflect (darksaber i think).
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the new episodes of The Clone wars, Ahsoka is being chased by clones who set their blasters to stun. She was able to block the rings of energy, but they fizzled away when they struck her lightsaber rather than being sent back towards the enemy.

I would say that stun blasters cannot be deflected, but they can be blocked using the same rules for lightsaber combat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: