The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I completely agree, atgxtg.

By the way, today it was announced that there's going to be a new movie every year starting in 2015!!!

This looks like an aggregate of rumors, some of which other rumor sites have said are bunk. I'm a little skeptical until I see an official word from either Disney or Lucasfilm. I mean, it certainly could be true, but I'm just having a hard time believing that a movie a year will be a sustainable model.

EDIT: Okay, I should have googled before I posted, but it looks like the movie-a-year thing is real, but rumors vary on what stand-alone projects they'll have in between the episode films.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Walt Disney Co. chairman Alan Horn announced Wednesday that the studio would release films set in a galaxy far, far away every year starting in 2015.

It's official. Begun now the Clone Film has.

Episode 7-9 are going to be alternated with several other bight ideas, such as Young Luke, Han and Yoda series. While it is possible that with multiple teams making multiple trilogies could produce some good stuff, it is unlikely that the quality will be consistent. I doubt it will even be as consistent as the EU!

I fear something terrible has happened. On Opening day a million movie goers will suddenly cry out...
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is concerning that they could try to do too much, but on the other hand Marvel puts out a movie or two each year and the quality has been there...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
It is concerning that they could try to do too much, but on the other hand Marvel puts out a movie or two each year and the quality has been there...

Marvel has decades of stories and characters from the comics to work with, and typically outsourced the films to other companies. And their films tend to stand on their own. You don''t have to see Captain America to enjoy the Avengers. Or see any other Marvel film to follow Daredevil or the Amazing Spiderman. Star Wars, on the other hand, is one big continuing saga. You can watch Return of the Jedi without seeing any of the other films, but a lot of the film won't mean much.

I suppose we'll see how the quality of Marvel holds up now that Disney owns Marvel too. I hope both franchises put out quality films, but I got a bad feeling about this.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a degree that's true that what we've had before were part of a larger whole, but I'm not sure this has to be the way it is going forward. In other words, if Zack Snyder gets his wish to do a Seven Samurai remake with Jedi (completely separate from any other movies), is that a bad thing?

Personally I think the universe is vast enough to support a whole range of stories. I think anytime you have this much quantity, though, you're bound to have some stinkers in there.

This article on the site Den of Geek has much of the same concerns you do, atgxtg, and like you he points out the vast back catalog they have to work from. But he also makes the point that all of the Marvel movies (like Captain America) are part of a cohesive whole, rather than being individual, stand-alone pictures.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
To a degree that's true that what we've had before were part of a larger whole, but I'm not sure this has to be the way it is going forward. In other words, if Zack Snyder gets his wish to do a Seven Samurai remake with Jedi (completely separate from any other movies), is that a bad thing?

Yeah, probably. Odds are it won't live up to either of it's inspirations.

Quote:

Personally I think the universe is vast enough to support a whole range of stories. I think anytime you have this much quantity, though, you're bound to have some stinkers in there.

Yes. Exactly. Just look at the novels. Some good stories, some stickers, and a lot of mediocre stuff that most of us could take or leave. ANd few of the novels deal with anything epic due to the restrictions inherent with the Skywalker timeline.

Quote:

This article on the site Den of Geek has much of the same concerns you do, atgxtg, and like you he points out the vast back catalog they have to work from. But he also makes the point that all of the Marvel movies (like Captain America) are part of a cohesive whole, rather than being individual, stand-alone pictures.

I disagree with that. They really aren't a cohesive whole as much as intersecting stories. You don't really need to see Thor or the Avengers to follow the Iron Man films. Nor is there a single hero, villain and objective running through all the Marvel films. With Marvel they can mix n' match all sorts of characters, groups, and tech from the comics. It's a very rich, highly detailed Universe that also benefits from being loosely based on the real world.

With Star Wars you pretty much have one source (Lucas) and one big story (Skywalker family), and everything else is secondary, and somewhat suspect. George Lucas doesn't go over the stuff others created for his universe the same way Stan Lee went over the stuff other writers came up with at Marvel to give the setting a shared continuity.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm also concerned that there's going to be a lot of second and third-rate material coming out.

I know people have talked up the Clone Wars, and while they're somewhat okay, I don't think they're at a quality worthy of what the franchise should be.

I'm guessing this is going to be all for the money and that shorter-term thinking is going to get the better of quality control. Sure, if Disney really wanted to build a brand to stand the test of time and be the continuing American epic, it should and could theoretically be done, but I don't have that degree of faith in Disney or, frankly, in humanity.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be in the minority, but can any of this be any worse than the prequels. My inner fan says no, so I'm not ne bit worried. I haven't seen a good SW film since the 80's........
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebetan It can get worse than the prequels that was my point earlier in this thread. The movies will likely be closer in line to the prequels than your beloved 80's movies. I personally think this could be a good idea for the movies the one a year thing.

If you get a movie line going that breaks off from the Skywalker line then you can get into other parts of the Star Wars Universe. Get enough people interested in a new character or a new time in SWU then you open up new possiblities without risking ruining fans ideas of their old favorite characters.

I do not think Disney will make cheap movies nor do I think they will cut any corners in this process. I do however believe that the Lucas bashers and die hard OT fans will not like the stuff Disney puts out anymore more than they did the PT.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it can get worse. Much worse. The setting alone does not ensure that a film will be "at least" as good as the prequels. There are tons of bad movies and TV shows, especially in the Sci-Fi genre to prove that.

Let's take another look at the supposedly high quality Marvel line of films. While the recent films have been good (Iron Man 2 was a big of a let down, but not horrible), there are several Marvel films that haven't been so good. The Captain America film with the Italian Red Skull, some of the made for TV movies. It's easy to get worse.

[quote=Draven]If you get a movie line going that breaks off from the Skywalker line then you can get into other parts of the Star Wars Universe. Get enough people interested in a new character or a new time in SWU then you open up new possiblities without risking ruining fans ideas of their old favorite characters [/quote]

It's not a question of where in the SWU, it one of scale. The whole "Star Wars' epic is about big events that effect the whole Star Wars Galaxy. It's hard to do anything epic in the setting as is without altering things. Especially when dealing with the Force.

[quote=Draven]
I do not think Disney will make cheap movies nor do I think they will cut any corners in this process. I do however believe that the Lucas bashers and die hard OT fans will not like the stuff Disney puts out anymore more than they did the PT. [/quote]

I don't think they will go cheap. But a high quality process doesn't ensure a high quality film. Or one that is true to it's source. Look at the J.J. Addams reboot of Star Trek. Hi production values, but it's obvious that the writers aren't that familiar with the setting, and threw in a time travel story just so they could toss out the entire continuity.
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has been my point all along is that JJ and Disney are not likely to care about Star Wars source material. At least they are less likely to make a movie true to Source than George Lucas himself was. I never understood the mind set that said finally George gave up Star Wars now we will get the movies we have been waiting for. If you do not like what George Lucas did with Star Wars I bet you will like what Disney and JJ do even less.

I am glad he did give up Star Wars only because that means Star Wars might continue on now for quite a while. I liked all 8 movies. The six part saga and the Ewok movies. I know that is unpopular statement but I l liked them all. There for I think I will likely enjoy what Disney does as long as they do not ruin timelines like JJ did in Star Trek. As I understand it this is a continuation not a reboot so they are not likely to change Star Wars history telling a story forward.

Everyone keeps mentioning the Disney movies for marvel as being good. They are not talking about the movies based on Marvel before Disney got them. I can think of a great many truely awful Marvel movies and I love Marvel comics books. I agree Iron Man 2 was a bit of a let down while still a good movie and was not feeling the Red Skull in Captain America. But then I have found no movie yet that there is not parts I can pick apart from it. I personally did not like the Thor movie all that much. But overall I would say the Disney movies for Marvel are truest to the source material of any of the Marvel based movies I have seen.

Is it possible that the new Star Wars movies will be awful I would say yes. I would even say if you are a die hard OT fan Disney will ruin Star Wars for you even more. If you can not accept that Star Wars has to movie forward and get a new audience to last into the future then you should probally lower your hopes for Disney. But that is just my opinion.

My hopes is Disney will be able to break away in the future or far past of Star Wars from the Luke Skywalker story and that the movies will be at least the same overall production quality of The Avengers.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too hope that they break away from the Skywalker family, and like Draven I'm a big fan of the Prequels as well as the OT (though I am not a fan of the Ewok movies).

Re: the Italian Red Skull, I believe the movie atgxtg is referencing is this one.

FWIW, JJ Abrams didn't destroy the old continuity with his reboot; he merely introduced a new timeline to start anew (something that makes sense for Trek, but which would never work for Wars). And his writers (Damon Lindelof, Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman) are big Star Trek fans who understand and love the show (and its history).

Let me echo Draven's last statement, that I hope to see the same high production values and quality that the Marvel movies have received (and I'd be surprised if they were given anything less)!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Look at the J.J. Addams[sic] reboot of Star Trek. Hi production values, but it's obvious that the writers aren't that familiar with the setting, and threw in a time travel story just so they could toss out the entire continuity.
Yes, but you could say exactly the same thing about the Star Wars prequels, without the benefit of the time travel excuse...

Complete Starship Construction System
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon got to ask where in the PT did the writers show they did not know or care about the story. The only flaw I saw in the story was explained. That was the fact that at one time Yoda was Obi-Wans master. Which was explained by the fact that Yoda mastered the younglings till they were chosen to serve with a permanent master.
Frandal
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I say before I agree with that " I have a bad feeling about this".

Despite the image of the stromtroopers marching and singing

"Aiho Aiho to Hoth to War!!
A base to destroy
Lot of rebels to kill..
Aiho!! Aiho Aiho Aiho!!"

or Leia going

"It's that you.. the Charming Smuggler that I've been waiting so long..."

IMO they are not going to let the franchise down, I mean, they are going to put a lot of dollars in the production, they know that they are going to recover all of it and earn an huge profit. Let's be honest, all of us are going to buy theatre tickets for the premerie day of the new films, no matter what Wink
Still I fear what they are going to do. I think that they are not going to care about the EU at all, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't be good scripts.
The thing I fear the most is that they destroy our beloved old characters... Han is good as he is, he doesn't need to be the "Space Tony Stark" if you know what I mean. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: