The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting Jedi Powers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starting Jedi Powers?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Starting Jedi Powers? Reply with quote

If the Jedi Starts with 1D in each force skill how many force powers should they have nine?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One in each attribute, I'm just going with what the templates give in the main book. Alien Student of the force, 1Dx3 you may select 3 force powers.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that powers that use more than 1 force skill take up multiple power slots. FOr example, Lightsaber combat taking up 1 control and 1 sense slot.

I'm not sure about this, though, since WEG has switched back an forth on this rule.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about starting, however while progressing, if you raise any of the required attributes (raising control or sense can grant the Lightsaber Combat power.). So, only one attribute raise per power.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What powers do you think a padawan trained by a jedi master would start with for powers?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand it depends on how many were because of skill advancement and how many were from attribute assignment. For every 1D you gain in a Force skill as a starting attribute, then you get 1 slot for powers. (note that Lightsaber combat occupies two slots, since it is a control and sense power, occupying one slot of each skill). However, at character creation, when you up a force skill, you gain two slots for every 1D you increase the skill.

At character advancement, you gain one slot per pip.

I think a starting Jedi should have something basic like concentration, and life detection. Telekinesis may be possible, but rather unusable at 1D anyway.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With concentration telekinesis is usable. Well, and a character point I suppose. Or if they waited a round.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could do that. With concentration you're getting a four die bonus and a two die penalty. If you had a 1D on Telekinesis, you're still only getting 2D at that point, if you wanted to burn character points I suppose you could effectively manage a 4D
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I think a starting Jedi should have something basic like concentration, and life detection. Telekinesis may be possible, but rather unusable at 1D anyway.

Magnify senses is another excellent starting Force Power.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
From what I understand it depends on how many were because of skill advancement and how many were from attribute assignment. For every 1D you gain in a Force skill as a starting attribute, then you get 1 slot for powers. (note that Lightsaber combat occupies two slots, since it is a control and sense power, occupying one slot of each skill). However, at character creation, when you up a force skill, you gain two slots for every 1D you increase the skill.

At character advancement, you gain one slot per pip.

Yup. 1 initially for the first D in each skill STARTING OUT at character creation. 1 additional for each D of skill purchased during character creation.
1 per pip added in game.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One power for each starting D6. If a character starts with one D6 in control, sense and alter, and they want a power that uses two force skills (for example, both control and sense), that power would use two of those three. The starting Jedi can have up to one additional power for each additional pip, but he doesn't have to.

If the Director intends to never allow the Jedi to meet another Jedi (and hence no additional powers) he may want to max out the powers the Jedi starts with, even if he can't use them now. But always remember, the Director (acting as Jedi Master) decides what powers the Jedi starts with, not the Padawan. The Padawan can ask, but the Director decides.

Jedi during the rebellion era should not be able to learn new powers - unless they travel to a distant world, dig among ruins, recover a data pad, or something; but all of these should be a game unto themselves, maybe taking several game nights too achieve. Jedi in the Old Republic will have it much easier.

I have no sympathy for a Director who whines the Jedi PC in his campaign has become too powerful, because the Director controls everything the Jedi PC can or cannot learn. A smart Director uses this.

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true..... A DM who lets the pc learn anything must be prepared to live with him having/using said power.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
What powers do you think a padawan trained by a jedi master would start with for powers?

Powers that have a very easy difficulty.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see... LS combat is out then, so too is combat sense..

That leaves what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: