The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Where are you from....originally?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Where are you from....originally? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent really used any for species in general but in our ad&d game Elminster somehow came out like Sean Connery. In Star Wars, the ancient Jedi master Phineas Wolf, who shares many of the Elminster mannerisms has taken on the same voice. I didnt like it at first but the group thought it was funny and liked it so much they wont let me change it. Now I actually need to practice and occasionally watch highlander prior to games to get in character.

"Nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot."
-Turk (De Niro) Righteous Kill
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Bobmalooga wrote:
After watching 'Tombstone' I played 2 different gamblers (one male and the other female...) that used the aristocratic southern accent that Doc Holiday had in the movie. I'm fond of using Irish/Scottish accents as well but can't think of a specific reference for that one...

Keith...who is not your huckleberry.

I'm your huckleberry. Keith, you have so many cool movie ideas. I have done Doc Holiday type of characters too.

I also did a Jedi Master based on Sean Connery, complete with accent. The movie thing comes from having a great love for cinema. I once read an article in Dragon Magazine that talked about 'If you are stuck for a game idea...' just take two movies and slap them together...

I did this with 'Last of the Dogmen' and 'Jurassic Park' when my players landed on a planet for repairs and ended up running into a race of intelligent velociraptors that used spears and could communicate with them...
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
I also did a Jedi Master based on Sean Connery, complete with accent.

But how do you keep that from being a distracting parody? There are some accents, Sean Connery, but Arnold Schwarzenegger would be right there as well, that are so attached to a celebrity that it would cause people to immediately revert to their disbelief, rather than continue to suspend it.

I love doing accents to get into character(s) - in fact, it's a must for me - but I find I cant go near the celebrity accents without getting heckled for it by the (other) players.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
I love doing accents to get into character(s) - in fact, it's a must for me - but I find I cant go near the celebrity accents without getting heckled for it by the (other) players.
I think it depends a lot on the players and the tone. Done well, it gives the players a vivid character hook. Done poorly, you probably will get heckled.

It often helps if the actor is one that is appropriate for the role of the character. And if the player is not good at accents, it's probably better to maybe use one recognizable line and just tell people - my character looks and sounds like Sean Connery around the time of some movie that makes sense for the look and age you want.

In fact we have used Sean Connery's voice at least twice in gaming (though not in Star Wars). The first time was my wife's Star Fleet Captain who sounded (and looked) like Sean Connery - the 50-60 year old version. The accent and similarity worked well and nobody laughed. Of course it helps that my wife is very good at accents. More recently in Call of Cthulhu the Investigators ran into William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes in Shanghai. (They developed the WWII Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife.) Fairbairn sounds like Sean Connery. It is one accent that I can pretty reliably do. I think it gave the players a good hook and a likeable background persona for Fairbairn. And the fact that Fairbairn was in the British Secret service and Connery played MI-6 agent 007 just makes for fun behind the scenes.

In addition, we often grab pictures of actors, actresses, or models to use for characters in all our games. Since none of us are artists, "borrowing" existing pictures is often the only way to get a picture of a character. We've been lucky to get original art for a few characters, I was fortunate to get a real artist to do the pics for my character Bren, but that is by far the exception to the rule.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
I think it depends a lot on the players and the tone. Done well, it gives the players a vivid character hook. Done poorly, you probably will get heckled.

Good point. Traven Fray, the Chief Engineer aboard my player's ship acts and sounds a lot like Jack Sparrow, although he looks very different. When I do his lines, I give a good Jack Sparrow impersonation, including the generally unneccesary arm and body movements and often a hint of a drunken stagger. My brother laughs, but because he's funny, not because of heckling.
Also the captain of that ship, Cleague M'Kard is kind of an amalgam of Jeremy Irons and (you guessed it) Sean Connery. (Is there an echo in here?) While my Connery isn't bad, it doesn't fit with the character's southern accent and style so I use Irons' voice, just not quite as raspy. (Also, once my Photoshop is up and running again, I can post a picture. I'm not too much of an artist either, but I can stitch together two B&W photos!)

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it helps that we are trying to give characters personality, not claiming that the actor is actually the character. I also think that regarding Arnie, especially in his early movies his accent is funny and in some of his movies he seems like he is parodying himself. So his might be a good accent to avoid.

Perhaps a national or regional accent that is less identified with a particular person may work better for your group. Also, this is likely to work differently in ex-US gaming groups since which accents are local and which are foreign sounding will switch.

So for a typical group of American players, rather than have an Imperial officer sound or look like David Niven, instead give him a generic British upper class, posh, or BBC accent instead. To Americans this is likely to subconciously convey an educated, aristocratic, and possibly even Imperial background. On the other hand, based on a fairly extensive perusal of British Mysteries, a loud, brash nasally flat tone of voice conveys an entrepreneurial American Businessman to the Brits. So for them, a Corellian ship Magnate might speak that way. Also, it apparently helps if the character says g*d d@mn at least every other sentence. Really. Watch a few BBC episodes of Poirot, Miss Marple, or even Jeeves and Wooster if you don't believe me.

Hey those of you from non-US countries, do you use accents in your games and if so, what accents do you use and why?
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once used the voice of Henry Kissinger (and a photoshopped image) to portray a self-styled political officer on an exploration ship. Oh, that was fun!
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When playing D&D, my dwarves always have a British accent. My elves tent do be disgustingly prim and proper. I've also run a Bounty Hunter in Star Wars who sounded alarmingly like John Wayne, . . .

I've also found that body language plays a large part of the characters I play. A relaxed or arrogant character tends to leave me leaning back in my seat, my feet up on the table and a cocky grin on my face, where as a diabolical villan might leave me pacing the room, a stern look on my face as I lean forward imposingly. Its also fun to kneel on the floor, barely looking over the edge of the table as we play when playing a short character, like a Ewok, or Gnome. One time, I tried playing Yoda that way, shuffling around the table, poking people with my stick, it was funny until someone broke my stick, . . . . Crying or Very sad
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken stick, you have, replace, you must! Very Happy

Being British born and bred gaming with a bunch of Brits, villains tended to have German or Russian accents, remembering this was 12-20 years ago and all of us having grown up on old WWII movies. Good guys would range from Upper Class British accents for nobles, to more local accents for general characters. Then some characters of interest might have Australian or American accents...

Now having spent the time over here, villains tend to be Brits (anything from upper class for officers, to lower class for grunts) I've noticed, more in keeping with Star Wars movies where the Empire seemed exclusively British almost... Smile

Characters of interest retain American or Australian accents though it seems... With some lesser characters leaning more towards eastern European.

And I agree with Guardian_A, body language plays a big part in the games, helping the players imagine the character they are interacting with, sometimes with very comical results!

T.C.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Watch a few BBC episodes of Poirot, Miss Marple, or even Jeeves and Wooster if you don't believe me.

I haven't seen any Miss Marple, but watch the others even if you do believe Bren.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
I've also run a Bounty Hunter in Star Wars who sounded alarmingly like John Wayne, . . .
I can believe it...Pilgrim. That is excellent and the body language examples are great. I wish I was better able to do stuff like that, it's excellent!

TyCaine, and of course Germans and Russians make great villains, though in Star Wars I think I would make them alien villains. Since, as you have notice, brilliant lad that you are, the Imperial villains are all British. Wink

I find vaguely Eastern European is great for human but a bit exotic or some aliens.

And Mikael, I like Henry Kissenger as a political officer or he would make a great advisor for a Moff or Grand Moff.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

TyCaine, and of course Germans and Russians make great villains, though in Star Wars I think I would make them alien villains. Since, as you have notice, brilliant lad that you are, the Imperial villains are all British. Wink

I did happen to notice that little nuance... Smile Of course, when I originally starting playing we were a group of all Brits, so the thought that we could ever possibly be the bad guys, was just too hard a pill to swallow! Wink

Now of course, since I play mainly with Americans being the token Brit of the group (and being the main GM), it's easier for them to see Brits as the Empire, since a) it matches the movies, and b) here I am with an honest to goodness British accent!! Very Happy

T.C.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
...here I am with an honest to goodness British accent!!
Sweet!
After two years in the UK, my wife and I got to the point that we stopped hearing the BBC accents as accents. They sounded normal to us. Smile

Having lived in the UK, though I am kind of surprised you didn't include the French in the list of bad guy accents. Wink Maybe a short Grand Moff with an itchy torso? Laughing
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Having lived in the UK, though I am kind of surprised you didn't include the French in the list of bad guy accents. Wink Maybe a short Grand Moff with an itchy torso? Laughing

There were French bad guys in Star Wars, but they all ran away.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Bren wrote:

There were French bad guys in Star Wars, but they all ran away.
I totally sent you up for that line. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: