The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side During Dark Times
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side During Dark Times
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dadofett
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Dark Side During Dark Times Reply with quote

Hi all. First real post, so be gentle. Very Happy

New Star Wars GM here trying to sort out the bigger story arcs for a new game...

Setting it in Dark Times and will have one or more Jedi characters in the player group. I've already read the thread about the numbers of Jedi surviving the Purge, and I think it is reasonable that these low-level Jedi were overlooked. Somewhere in the campaign they will stumble across one or more of the surviving Masters to help their skills progress....

My question is related.

I want to have some varying strength Dark Side force users for the Jedi characters to face throughout the campaign. I am having a hard time getting my arms around it (my knowledge of EU is a little lacking)

Here is my current understanding of the various "levels" of potential opponents, and how they relate to the Emperor and each other for the time frame between Episodes 3 and 4.

*Dark Jedi -- Jedi that are already bad or have turned bad after Purge -- operate independently, or possibly form their own "order"
    *Dark Side Adept -- force-using badies that are not Jedi or Sith -- operate independently, or work for other higher level badies
    *Emperor's Hand -- specially trained Dark Side Adepts -- work for Emperor directly
    *Sith Apprentice -- member of Sith order apprenticed to a Sith Lord under "rule of two" -- ex: Starkiller from Force Unleashed
    *Sith Lord -- master of Sith order. -- ex: Darth Vader
    *Emperor -- top of Sith order

Please let me know if I should add or change anything in this list.
I want to use canon as a "framework", but will most likely take a few liberties for our campaign, for example adding several secret Sith Apprentices, etc (seems logical that the Sith would disregard their own “rule of two”, being bad and all...)

Also, any other ideas anyone has would be appreciated as well!
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent campaign was a Dark Times campaign following a group of padawans and a single master who survived the purge. They actually went out of their way to try gathering surviving jedi and formed something of a small accademy on the Corellean Corvette they were traveling in.

Considering how many jedi there were in the main jedi order, as well as how many splinter groups there are, its reasonable to assume that there are plenty of experienced jedi/masters out there that may be able to train potential students. In the same way, it is reasonable to assume that there are a number of independant dark jedi operating during this time period

As for Dark Side opponents. There are several dark side groups out there, so your enemies dont HAVE to be associated with the empire, they could instead be associated with a fallen jedi, the Nightsisters, or some other dark side splinter group. Also, as you mentioned, the Emperor employs several dark jedi in the form of Emperor's Hand and Adepts. Both the Emperor and Darth Vader had "secret apprentaces" that they used towards their own ends.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor%27s_Hand
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Side_Adept

All in all, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on the Dark Side "Framework."

PS: Take the time to look up the Tales of the Jedi Companion. It makes a good starting resource for all things Force related. Also, try looking up the fanbook "Galaxy Guide 14: The Dark Side." You should be able to find a link to GG14 in the Tools section of this site in the fan made sourcebooks thread.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Side During Dark Times Reply with quote

dadofett wrote:
*Dark Jedi -- Jedi that are already bad or have turned bad after Purge -- operate independently, or possibly form their own "order"

I agree.

Quote:
*Dark Side Adept -- force-using badies that are not Jedi or Sith -- operate independently, or work for other higher level badies

I see this more as the other side of the coin for the Alien Student of the Force template. These are evil beings who have learned to use the Force through some form of training other than being a Jedi.

Quote:
*Emperor's Hand -- specially trained Dark Side Adepts -- work for Emperor directly

Alternately, they may have been a latent talent discovered by Palpatine and trained in Sith techniques, without any outside training, but not enough training to ever truly threaten a Sith Lord.

Quote:
*Sith Apprentice -- member of Sith order apprenticed to a Sith Lord under "rule of two" -- ex: Starkiller from Force Unleashed

Per the Rule of Two, there were supposed to be only two full Sith; the Dark Lord and his Apprentice. Since Apprentice is an official title among the Sith, a better term might be Sith Acolyte. After all, being a Sith is dangerous business, and with either the Dark Lord or Apprentice positions becoming unexpectedly vacant, there would need to be a pool of "potential employees" to promote.

Quote:
*Sith Lord -- master of Sith order. -- ex: Darth Vader
*Emperor -- top of Sith order

The Emperor never stopped being Dark Lord of the Sith, even though Vader was known to use the same title. That could've just been more misdirection by Palpatine, but who knows?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
the Nightsisters,.

Big issue there is unless you ignore the books/canon, most of those other orders etc were not even known about to the general JEDI group, let alone the gen public till much later into the EU/New republic.. Especially the night sisters and the Jennasari.

For my heirachy..

Sith master (The emperor)
Sith apprentice (vader)
Sith acolyte (those under vader)
Emperors hand
Dark side adept
Dark side apprentice
Dark sider.. usualy untrained and on own.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
the Nightsisters,.

Big issue there is unless you ignore the books/canon, most of those other orders etc were not even known about to the general JEDI group, let alone the gen public till much later into the EU/New republic.. Especially the night sisters and the Jennasari.

Just because a group was unknown to the Jedi Order, dosnt mean that a campaign cant interact with one of those groups, or even focus on one of those groups.

Nightsisters appear in limited numbers in the comics as well as the one on Endor during the Ewok movies. So there is precedence for them outisde of their home planet during the Dark Times.

As for the smaller Sith Groups. I'm not saying that they need to play a large role on a galactic scale, but having a small group of them as villans in a game during the Dark Times would be well within the realm of possibility.

The most important thing is to have fun. Beyond that, if you want to avoid going against cannon, just make sure that any unusual events/enemies/etc are on a local scale so it can be explained away as being unimportant on the galactic scale.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want o add Inquisitors. They were formed around 19 BBY so they'd certainly exist during the Dark Times. And the Inquisitors are Force-sensitives, I'd say often Dark Jedi or Dark Side Adepts. I know Jerec was a Jedi turned Dark Jedi when he became an Inquisitor, but Brandl was, from what I can tell, never trained as a Jedi so I'd say he was more a Dark Side Adept.

Not sure how to quantify Tremayne as Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments of the Rim does seem to suggest he may have completed his training to be a Jedi (it actually says he once trained to be a Jedi Knight, not whether or not he actually completed his training). The story Dark Vendetta from the old Star Wars Galaxy Magazine is little help as it merely has Vader telling Tremayne that the Jedi were reluctant to allow newcomers to reach their full potential. It does say he was a newcomer to the order so maybe that could point to his not completing his training. But more recent material put him as still being a Padawan at the time of Order 66 so he never became a Jedi Knight. So I don't know whether to call him a Dark Jedi (Padawans are Jedi after all, just not Knights yet) or what.

Wanted Poster
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that the Inquisitors actually be made up of a mix of the lower ranking Darksiders. Their backgrounds would matter less to Palpatine than their loyalty...

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah this is our groups favourite game setting, almost all other campaigns tend to cross over or splinter into it.
My take on all this is house rule based and may not reflect other views, but has worked extremely well in our campaigning.

First split up your Force using groups and keep in mind use of the Force is something mundane throughout the galaxy. Every being and all matter is connected through the Force, it is an energy field permeating the galaxy, it is just that trained Force users have developed various traditions of how to make it work for you on an individual level.

So Force sensitive folks and even rudimentary quixotics aren't nearly as uncommon as one might first assume, but adepts or worse, trained users are fairly rare because they're about as likely to get murdered by a superstitious bunch of scum and villainy trying to "steal their power" to win a game of sabacc, or trade them into slavery for a hefty fee as they are by Imperial inquisitors hunting them down as a threat to the Emperor. Not many get very far unless they hide it well.

Entire alien and near human races are considered commonly Force sensitive for example. Many species are dependent upon use of the Force as a basic sensory feature. Many backwater cultures hold use of the Force as inherent to their traditions and government.

The Galactic Empire didn't change this, it couldn't. But it can use propaganda to make common citizens ignore it, fear it, forget it. That's the New Order, that's one of the agendas of COMPNOR. And keep this bit in mind: COMPNOR's greatest influence is in the Core Worlds. Way out on the Rim, people hardly hear about Imperial propaganda, all they know is Stormtroopers roll up and people die if you don't do what the local Governer tells you. They're not into politics. And a lot of Rim worlds are left alone as not worth bothering with by the Empire unless they do something to stand out as a threat or challenge.

Now to the Force users.

Force Sensitive folks are around. You'll probably find some in any significant population group. Mostly they're just a bit wacko and don't understand what they have access to very well. They wouldn't know how to spend character points to develop it even if they did.

Quixotics are the most rudimentary Force users and the second most common group, the word just means they developed their own abilities ad hoc and with trial and error. You'll probably find a few in any given Sector of the galaxy with significant population groups, although these will be regularly expunged by Imperials unless they go running off to the Rim or other frontier regions...making them ergo more common out there, less in the galactic interior.
Quixotics might be divided into a number of types:

-Alien Force User, his species is commonly Force sensitive and related superstitions are inherent and culturally observed, but individuals may strike out on their own without being members of any trained priesthood, they may have grown up on a foreign world for example and simply be aware of an innate Force ability among their species and explored it independently. You might find one operating on a backwater world as a seer which local communities consult when planning agricultural projects and the like (will there be any natural disasters if we build this dam? Yes there will? Okay we better not build it then).

-Quixotic Jedi, this was one of my favourite templates from original 1st edition rules and I'm glad it was revived in 2R&E. These pop up on Imperial controlled worlds with access to the HoloNet and active underground agitators which broadcast censored media, from which to have learned about the Jedi of earlier times. Or upon independent worlds with cultural traditions admonishing the Jedi Knights of old. Essentially they started off as not only Force Sensitive, but somewhat attuned to receiving visions and the like, it's an ability they've always had and they have learned to recognise this as a possible Jedi trait. But it's a bit like the way everybody wants to be a rockstar, not really your decision what people choose to call you and fruit-loop springs to mind.

Either of these can easily be darksiders, it depends entirely on their character, decisions, experiences.

-Dark Side Marauder, an adaptation of a D20 prestige class, this is basically a bloodthirsty mercinary with quixotic dark side powers, treat as a Quixotic Jedi but he admonishes the Dark Side and may have begun as a soldier template type who purchased Force Sensitivity during his career. Pretty likely to wind up as an Emperor's Hand, but maybe encountered by PCs earlier in his career, when his powers are still rudimentary and quixotic.

Trained Force users also fall into a number of groups, although they become more political because it involves philosophical indoctrination and strict codes of conduct, either to subordinate them, to protect them or just to train them.

-Force Adepts IIRC are a 1st Edition template which was revised into the Alien Force User in 2nd Edition and Alien Student of the Force in 2R&E. They use common stats, only the description changes. Some maybe quixotic but generally speaking they are a member of a backwater sect, like the Witches of Dathomir and may very well use the Force differently, like Dathomir spells (character points are placed into dice of individual Force powers instead of Control/Sense/Alter, costs more in the long run but allows more power in the short term, eg. control pain 3D, injure/kill 4D and you use those dice to roll any control/sense/alter requirements for the power, advance at normal skill cost/training).
The Dark Side Adept templates simply specify darksider Force Adepts, in the case of the two in the Dark Empire Sourcebook, in league with Palpatine and obviously interested in becoming Sith Acolytes, or maybe roughly considered Sith Acolytes already.

-Sith Acolytes are essentially a Force Adept whose chosen devotion is Sith Lore. They may or may not be part of a sect, they may have simply got their hands on some Sith artefacts and learned from those. Look up the Empress Tita story for more info on this type of character. Jedi Sentinels were originally conceived to hunt down Sith artefacts and prevent the occurance of independent Sith Acolytes throughout the galaxy. Obviously they are always darksiders, but are especially dangerous because Sith Alchemy is an abomination to life and lightsiders. They are common of course in Sith cultures, but hold no particular rank or position. It should be noted that Sith Acolytes are not Jedi, but are alien force users of a particular devotion. They maybe trained in Jedi arts, but this would require the tutelage of a Dark Jedi.

-Jedi Knight, we all know this one so no need to go on about it. Just that a Dark Jedi is not a Sith, but they are not mutually exclusive either. The most dangerous Dark Jedi become Sith, but due to the inherent power of a Jedi Knight they are always fast tracked among the ranks of any Sith sect they choose to involve themselves with...usually with the purpose of taking it over as the new leader. Only greater knowledge of Sith secrets (Sith Lore, Sith Alchemy) keeps them under control.
Another point is that Dark Jedi don't use red lightsabres, they use their normal Jedi lightsabre. Red lightsabres are produced by synthesised artificial focus crystals, which requires Sith Alchemy to make, but is also why all Sith who use lightsabres have a red one, and you can tell a Dark Jedi has taken up the Sith abomination if he sparks up a red lightsabre. It's a scary revelation. Jedi with normal coloured lightsabres can still be darksiders however, but it is unlikely they will be trained in any Sith Lore or be part of a Sith sect in this event, unless they only just signed up recently.

-Sith Lords maybe formerly Dark Jedi, maybe borne of Sith culture or may just be ridiculously successful independent Sith Acolytes. Either way, really powerful, really scary. Sith use social darwinism as a political aim, only the most brutal and powerful make it to Sith Lord status and are constantly at threat of jealous assassination by peers, and execution by lawful populations for psychotic criminality. They survive on their power alone. If from a Sith culture they will typically use crystalline alchemical archaic weapons capable of turning lightsabre blades or causing diseased ill effects to Force users opposing them. If formerly Dark Jedi they will invariably construct synthesised lightsabres with red blades in a mockery of the Jedi tradition of questing for Force imbued artefacts of the lightside.

-Rudimentary Force users are often manipulated, subordinated or indoctrinated to serve the purposes of more powerful darksiders. These include Force Sensitive Emperors Hand assassins, Imperial Inquisitors, select ISB agents and Imperial Sovereign Protectors. Generally their training in use of the Force is strictly controlled in order to subordinate them, typically they use normal weapons and equipment which they enhance with limited Force use. Some maybe ex Jedi Padawan turned to the Dark Side by powerful figures, but rather low in the ranks of authority.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, I can't stress enough how significant it is for a Jedi Knight to face a wayward Jedi who sparks up a red bladed lightsabre.

"You haven't just lost your way pal. You've taken up the Sith abomination!"

Why is this so significant? Sith Alchemy is used to synthesise artificial focus crystals, displayed by the red blade. Not only is it an utterly intentional mockery of all Jedi traditions and codes of behaviour, it also paints in bold strokes the fact that you have taken up instruction on how to interfere with the natural universe on a molecular level, using the Force, to create abominations, to suit your own purposes.

In one hit you declare all Jedi Knights your eternal enemies and also that all life and anything natural about the universe had better take notice and watch out for you, as you fully intend to completely destroy it. And why, what is the singular thought which drives a sentient being to do such a thing? To declare themselves a God.

It is beyond all reason. It is almost beyond any hope of salvation.
It's a really, really big thing that red lightsabre. Please don't ever underplay it.
Wink
dadofett
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks everyone...quality stuff there! This helps a lot.

Here's my revised list based on everyone's input:

*Dark Quixotic -- self-trained force users who dabble in the Dark Side -- function independently
    *Dark Side Adept -- Dark Side force-using users that are not Jedi or Sith -- operate independently, or work for other higher level badies
    *Dark Jedi -- Jedi that are already bad or have turned to Dark Side after Purge -- operate independently, or possibly form their own "order"
    *Inquisitor -- DSA or Dark Jedi chosen to hunt Jedi (and turn if possible) -- work for Emperor
    *Sith Acolyte -- Dark Side Adepts that have chosen devotion to Sith Lore -- work for Sith Apprentice or part of Sith sect
    *Sith Apprentice -- members of Sith order apprenticed to a Sith Lord under "rule of two" -- ex: Starkiller from Force Unleashed
    *Sith Lord -- masters of Sith order. -- ex: Darth Vader, Empoeror

Thanks also for all the background info....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the addition of the quixotic..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I also like the term. But I couldn't resist the following:
    So instead of tilting at windmills the Dark Quixotic uses the the windmills as a giant torture device to pull victims apart. Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I also like the term. But I couldn't resist the following:
    So instead of tilting at windmills the Dark Quixotic uses the the windmills as a giant torture device to pull victims apart. :twisted:

Or uses Telekinesis to blow them apart from a distance...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: